Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
organic_donna

Hi everyone,
I just returned home from purchasing my limestone. The job won't start until October though. Thank you so much for all the advice.
granitegirl, The limestone is honed. I have hard water though which I know is not good. Is it best to just used a sealer or should I use an enhancer too? I like the look of the limestone when it's dark. I took a picture today of a small piece of the limestone but how do I post it here?

Bayougirl, If I like a stone I am willing to do just about anything to get the look. My kitchen is Azul Bahia and I was warned about that stone too. I have changed my cooking habits in order to prevent it from staining and etching.

Trask, thanks for the bathroom pictures, it already looks awsome. I am not very good about the stone not staying new looking, but I think it will be OK anyway.

riverware, you mentioned using white thinset, I am really ignorant about installing limestone. Is that all I need to know about it? I have a tile setter but need a fabricator for the slab. Anyone in Chicago?

JVCstone, Some of the tiles I looked at are very different looking from the others. Most of the tiles are dark gray but some have a rusty look. How do I mix them so they look good?

Thanks everyone for your help,
Donna
organic_donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

With regard to the sealing..Be careful on the enhancers...some limestones do not take them very well and they tend to gum up on the surface. I used Stonetech enhancer pro on everything with no problem. Do some tests with a few pcs.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #18
organic_donna

Hi again,
Last night I went through about 500 posts on this forum relating to limestone. The one recurring problem was the limestone forming a white haze that didn't go away. Some of you said it was the grout, some said the sealer, some said effervesance. How can I know what might cause that from happening? When I seal the limestone do I do it before install or once it's up? Also, once I use either sealer or enhancer I read I can't go back and use the other.
Donna
Unread 05-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #19
jvcstone
Stone Carver

Donna,

Do yourself a big favor, and don't over think this. You picked a stone you like that seems to be on the positive side in terms of density and porosity. Test some different sealers and/or enhancing sealers, pick the one you like the results of best, and get some sleep girl. you are doing your homework, and making good decisions (honed is good for limestone--really diminishes the acid etching problem).

about the color differences --not at all uncommon with natural stone. Open a few boxes to see if the stone is mixed in the box or not. If it is, I'd probably just pick it up and set it. If there is only a small % of the rusty looking pieces, over order and cull them out. Don't be surprised if what comes in is not exactly like the samples as limestone can have slight color changes within the same block, and a lot of the physical characteristics can change from one location to another in the same quarry. Shouldn't have any problem dealing with a reputable dealer though.
jvc

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #20
Dave the Tile Guy
No longer a registered user

Im with Trask! I absolutely LOVE limestone!! Working for a large commercial union shop in Vancouver, BC thats all I did was limestone/granite/marble work. Dont think I ever brought my tile cutter to work. I'd spend weeks inside one bathroom cutting, polishing, bevelling, installing.

But limestone especially is so nice. Warm, elegant and looks good no matter what "era" you're in (as opposed to the lovely pink and grey ceramics of the 90's)
The only downside is when ppl use it in the wrong areas. Rear entryways, mudrooms, commercial floors. Its so soft that it gets scratched immediately in those areas, then tends to just look "old and dirty" quickly.
We did a common area in a 40 story high-rise with all 24" limestone. Must've cost over 100 g's to the developer. Within a year, they had it all removed and replaced with Granite.

That being said..residential application, ie: showers, bathrooms, floors etc, I would install it every house I live in.....love it!!!

Trask: nipples get hard just looking at your shower.......That is a masterpiece!!! God I'd love to install something like that. Ever going to put a "value" as to the total job if you were to quote it for "joe-bloe contractor"??

Donna: The best advice I can give you is make sure you have a top-notch installer!! Limestone is not for the 'average tile setter'. Most large shops have totally different crews for 'natural stone' as opposed to normal ceramic tile.
And JVCStone's advice about the colour is spot on. All natural stone will be different from samples you look at. The overall look will be impressive once its all down. Dont worry about "this little vein" or "that light/darker spot" on a few pieces.

Mmmm....just itchin for a large limestone job again!! Can't say enough about limestone!!!
Unread 05-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #21
Dave Hessel
Oregon Tile Man

I love limestone too. I have it all over in my house.
Dave Hessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #22
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Talking

It is timeless stuff..That's another good reason to like it..Good thinkin Dave..I knew you Canadian guys were'nt all bad

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #23
river-wear

Donna - in answer to your question about sealing before installation. I was a little concerned about the efflorescence posts too. My limestone had a very smooth, honed surface. We didn't seal before installation on the theory it would not trap any moisture in the stone and cause discoloration. There were some darker areas along the grout joints that I had to keep re-wetting and wiping over a couple of days to get rid of. Then I sealed once I was happy with the look and everything was good and dry. Love it now!

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #24
organic_donna

Thanks so much for the positive replies,
From all the previous threads I thought that the limestone was a bad choice but I was wrong. I love this limestone and was willing to put up with the extra maintenence.

This is what I've learned from this forum, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I should wet the tiles as they are being installed and wipe up grout lines as I go. I am not going to preseal the limestone. I should use white modified thinset with versabond, and 1/16 unsanded grout.
When i do seal/enhance the limestone how is it applied so that it doesn't run? Do I use a sponge? You said to use an experienced installer right? How do I know if he is OK? My contractor does everything and he has been in business for about 20yrs. I have used him on others projects and been happy. I know he has installed a lot of granite and marble. I gave him a sample of my limestone and he said it was a very good stone. He is not a stone installer only though.
Thanks,
Donna
Unread 05-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #25
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Donna, Either the guy knows what he's doing or he doesn't. It's a one-shot operation.

Versa Bond is a brand name of a modified mortar that you can get at Home Depot. Good stuff.

1/16 grout joints are fine is the stone tiles are well calibrated. Sometimes they are not, and wider joints have to be used. So it depends on the stone.

I don't pre-wet the limestone. Sometimes it's necessary when grouting, but all limestone is not the same. Some are really thirsty; some are not.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #26
river-wear

I applied my sealer with a sponge roller - the kind used for paint touch-ups or small areas. It's about 3" across. The job went pretty quick that way. I followed the directions on the bottle and let it sit on the surface for 10-15 minutes and then wiped it down. I also made sure to get extra-good coverage on the grout lines. I'm not sure if the second coat was necessary; may have been overkill.

The sealer is pretty water-y stuff, so be careful when you do the walls. Any drips have to be wiped up.

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #27
organic_donna

John, Thanks so much. I trust that he will do a good job. I am going to ask him how much limestone/travertine he has installed.
river-wear, I thought I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to seal the grout. That part I'm not sure about.
Donna
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #28
Mike2

Donna, grout is almost always sealed assuming it is a cement based product, not an epoxy. I can't imagine where you might have picked up the notion that grout should not be sealed.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:56 AM   #29
organic_donna

Need additional advice

Hi everyone,
My contractor came over yesterday to go over the limestone install. We looked at the tiles and noticed that the tops had some very rough spots on them, kind of a sandpaper feel. Is that caused by the honing?
Anyway, he is concerned about the surface getting stained when he grouts. He took some tiles home to test them. Should he use a grout release prior to grouting?

I also tested the tile with Stonetech Enhancer Pro and Impregnator Pro. The EP was too dark. The IP did nothing as far as protecting from water penetration. I tried some Stone International Sealer and the water beaded right up. Is the IP supposed to protect from water absorbtion?

My contractor said I should pre seal the tiles to protect them since they are so rough. Do you think there is something wrong with the tiles? The limestone was expensive.

Donna
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #30
organic_donna

Help

I just put on some Stone Care International water based sealer on one of the tiles. The areas that were rough have turned a chalky white. It won't come out.
Donna

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase