Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
wzhao

Walls not flat problem

I am tiling the shower walls and right now am about to apply schluter kerdi membrane on top of drywall. I already made the mistake of having drywallers apply tape and joint compound to all the seams so I ended up priming the whole surface. I had confirmed with schulter that it would be fine to install kerdi membrane on primed drywall as long as it was latex primer. So I guess I'm good on that issue.

Now when I am checking for flatness of the walls, I realized that the back wall of the shower has a vertical hump right in the middle of it. I'm guessing that the waste pipe that was installed was sitting just a bit proud of the rest of the studs causing this hump. I think it might be sticking out around 1/4inch out.

How can I solve my problem?
Can I simply apply thinset to the wall in all the low places until it is all on the same plane. Let the thinset harden and then install kerdi membrane with more thinset?

Or should I go ahead and install kerdi membrane on the wall first, then when tiling, slap on more thin set in the low spots to bring the tiles plumb.

Is thinset the right material to use for this or should I use some drypacked mortar?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Unread 01-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Wing.

What you really want to do at this point is remove the drywall, correct the problem by moving the offending pipe (if that's what you've got) or furring out the studs such that your new drywall lies flat when installed.

You really, really don't want to try to flatten the tile installation while setting the tiles. Nor would you want to use thinset mortar to flatten a wall to that extent, or any extent, technically. There are patching compounds suitable for the application, but that's an excessive use of such material to my thinking when the wall can be corrected otherwise. And I think you'll find you can replace the drywall more easily in this case than you can plaster the existing wall flat.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase