Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
marcd118

Niche in exterior wall

Hey guys,

New member here and looking for some advice. This is my first bathroom remodel so there has been a lot of growing pains. I just installed a schluter 12" niche for a shower. Howerever, I didn't realize it was an exterior wall. There was no room to place it on any other wall. What are my options here as I planned my layouts based on this niche. The other question is, would this pass code in Pennsylvannia. Any type of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  117.8 KB
Unread 01-03-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Marc.

If you don't add that geographic location to your User Profile the information will be lost before we leave this page and that information is often helpful in answering your questions.

You would really need to ask your local code compliance inspector if there is any problem with it. It's not the best idea in a climate such as yours where you're likely to get frozen shampoo on some of those arctic nights, but I don't know that it violates code.

I trust you intend to install Kerdi over the entire face of the shower walls, yes? That should satisfy the probable local code requiring a vapor barrier product over the interior framing of those exterior walls. I trust you have removed any such membrane from behind the wallboards on that wall?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #3
marcd118

CX,

I removed the insulation where the niche was going. I am going to redguard the entire shower after I mesh tape everything.
Unread 01-03-2022, 11:53 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

After you "mesh tape everything," Marc, you must apply thinset mortar to fill the joints and cover the tape. When that if well cured, you can apply your liquid-applied waterproofing membrane.

Keep in mind that does not work well in the area where the CBU meets the tub's tiling flange, unless you have lapped the CBU over the flange on the drain side, which I cannot determine from your photo.

My opinion, worth price charged.

Unread 01-04-2022, 01:42 AM   #5
Kman

This is a 2x4 exterior wall, correct?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2022, 04:09 AM   #6
marcd118

CX- Yes, I was going to apply thinset to all the joints/corners and screw holes before redguarding. The CBU is sitting ontop the shower pan flange per the instructions.

Kmar- Yes its a 2x4 exterior wall.
Unread 01-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

With the CBU stopping at the top of the tiling flange, I'd want a sheet membrane, or at least a fabric with the liquid-applied membrane at that joint.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #8
marcd118

Vapor Barrier Question

I am in the process of starting to tile my new shower. The shower has two walls that are exterior walls. I left the insulation behind it and installed a cement board then regarded the walls. I only regarded half the shower where water would be exposed. Did I do this correct? Also, when I installed the shower pan, the instructions stated to install the cement board ontop the tile flange. The one thing I didn't do because I didn't see anything in the instructions was putting some type of flashing between the tile flange and cement board. Will this cause issues?

Thanks guys
Unread 01-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The cement board should overlap the flange and be waterproofed TO the flange. While it is not essential to waterproof above the shower nozzle....I always do. but I like the insurance.....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
marcd118

The instructions of this shower pan specifically said to place the cement board at the top of the flange. I redgarded down to the bottom of the cement board. Could I use a silicone caulk to fill the gap?
Unread 01-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Did you look at the instructions for RedGard? There's a bit more on their website, too.

I'd probably use some of their tape, apply that over the junction onto the tiling flange, then apply a couple of coats of RedGard to waterproof that seam.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Marc, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

See Post #7 for my response to your current question.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase