Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
BennyS

How should I go about tiling a Kerdi shower niche foam shelf?

I was about to start tiling my Kerdi shower niche foam shelf but after looking it over I wasn't really sure how to best tile it. I also don't know if I should be using tile edge trim at the outer edges of the shelf. I uploaded 3 pictures of the shelf & the tile I plan on using with it. The 4th picture is roughly how I was thinking it should be tiled; which is the tiles on the top & bottom flush with the outer edge of the shelf where the gap at the back of the shelf would be filled in with the tile in the shower niche or the tile at the top & bottom away from the outer edge the same as the rest of the grout gaps & then a single tile at the front of the shelf (probably having to trim a bit off the height).
If anyone could give me any advice/thoughts/ideas on this it would be most helpful as this is my 1st time tiling anything. Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Unread 10-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Stuart

Hi,

I'm very far from an expert, but here is a picture of how mine came out and a few in process using the same niche. I bought edge profiles. Then cut tiles to fit. Took a lot of cutting and sanding edges of tiles to get things to fit with no gaps. Used painters tape to hold things in place while fitting and cutting. Cut pieces of tile to fit top, bottom and front of shelf. Don't know if this was right...but it was how I did it. Not sure why picture is rotated. Good luck...
Attached Images

Last edited by Stuart; 10-28-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Business Kitty

Favorite Kerdi Niche Trim Technique

I've attached an image that shows how I specify my kerdi niches, and think visually looks a lot better than seeing too much schluter or having the shelf recessed at all.

First, I would make the center shelf flush with the rest of the kerdi/tile.
By using small pieces of counter top for the bottom of each shelf.. that slightly hang past the tile face, it makes it much easier to clean and also coordinates with the vanity top.

For the other 3 edges of each cavity, I use the schluter Jolly trim in a color that blends with the tile and doesn't just try to match the plumbing hardware. They have great matte/textured ones that will be close enough for most. Blending is the key here, and I find it's almost invisible if you make sure the widest part is facing the inside. Installed on the outside face, and covering raw edges of tile wrapped on the 3 inside faces.

I find taking the time to do the niches like this looks SO much better and professional, than most of what I see in average homes that it's worth it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Business Kitty; 11-11-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Business Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kitty, if you'll visit our Alumni Photo Album forum and open the Niches thread, you might find some options you could incorporate into some of your designs. Whole lotta ways to trim out a niche without using those profiles.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase