Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Toots

Tec Powergrout Failure

Okay, so about 6 years ago I had a failure where Tec Powergrout did not cure on a shower surround I was doing. It wasn't the worst thing as it came out easy like powder, I literally used a wooden dowel to scrape out the joints.

At that time, there was a lot of talk about this product having failure issues, and apparently at some point Tec tweaked the formula(who knows if this is true or not). I personally have continued using it and never had another issue since then....until today.

I put it down on a 170sq ft floor, 7lb bag of Slate Grey, 1/8 grout lines in 12x24 porcelain tile. Mixed it as usual, let it slake, looked right(got that "glassy" look), felt the right consistency going in, really no cause for concern.

However, after 2 hrs of sitting in the joint, it was still completely soft mud. Obviously anyone who has used this product knows it should have been nearly rock hard by that point, in fact even after 30 minutes you are playing with fire if you haven't begun forming lines. I never even attempted to form the lines in this case. I didn't even have to work hard to get it out, I just flooded the floor and it came right up with a wet-vac. There was no sign anywhere of it even beginning to set-up at all.

I'm curious, has anyone else continued to have issues with this product over the years? It cost me maybe 3 hrs today, so not the worst thing in the world, but it makes me skiddish when something like this happens.

Also: no the bag was not old. It was sealed and fresh stock.
Unread 05-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Andrew. Years ago, there were too many issues reported with that grout for me to mess with it. A few of my workers did and they used it often without failures.

I’d save the bag and call Tec with the code on the bag. They absolutely, positively will test the grout. They keep samples of everything that goes out the door and will pull their sample for testing upon a complaint call. While it doesn’t get you your time back, it might give you an answer.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Once you add water to uncured cement products, you're on a one-way street...the cement will cure. Now, there are ways to slow that down, but raw cement cures quite quickly in its purest state...stuff is added to the mix to slow it down to become more manageable.

So, if it didn't start to cure, one of two things:
- no cement!
- the cement had already cured when it was mixed up

Well, I suppose another possibility could be somehow, the additive that slows the curing process down was way out of proportion.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
Toots

Yeah. I realize that with many cement products there are additives, wet curing techniques, and other things to "save" a pour that isn't setting up for some reason. As you said, once you add water....

However, once it was clear there was something wrong, it was quicker for me to just suck it out and start over, as I knew that in 2-3 hrs I'd have a complete floor in front of me that way without having to fuss or make calls and on and on and on....

I'll have to see if I can find the bag and call Tec.
Unread 06-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I know someone who had some kick right after spreading a few weeks ago, had to rip out 30 sqft of walls.

I booted that mess of a product to the curb 4 years ago, save yourself the pain and do the same. They have serious manufacturing consistency issues.
Unread 06-02-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Have you guys seen this. My buddy Isaac tested a bunch of grouts. Its not looking good for these "High Performance" Grouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idej7pqD5cw

It's just a clever handle.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 06-03-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady at Best
Have you guys seen this. My buddy Isaac tested a bunch of grouts. Its not looking good for these "High Performance" Grouts

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase