Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
theeld

Insulation Interior Walls - Tile Shower

In general, I am a fan of insulating interior walls for purposes of sound transmission. We are redoing a full walk in shower, and am curious if anyone has opinion as to whether insulating the adjacent walls in the shower is a BAD idea, or if I should have any reservations putting unfaced fiberglass insulation in the interior walls. One wall is exterior and is obviously insulated with moisture barrier. Shower will be installed with kerdi membrane/denes shield.

Opinions will vary about insulating walls for sound transmission, but I feel it small cost in comparison, just curious about opinions on any issue specifically in this application, thanks!
Unread 11-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

This a project for which we already have a thread, Lyle?

I have always installed unfaced fiberglass batt insulation in all bathroom walls that are shared with living space, regardless whether the walls be part of the shower. It's cheap, fairly effective, and just makes a better house.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
matthewstephanie

I second that opinion. The 2 bathrooms I redid, the insulation has been effective in reducing noise in neighboring rooms. One shower/tub is adjacent to the kitchen, and you cannot even hear the shower running.
Unread 11-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Lyle,

I like the idea of insulating the walls too, but regular thermal insulation does not reduce the sound much. You need insulation made for that purpose. It's available everywhere.

I'm more concerned about your statement .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
Shower will be installed with kerdi membrane/denes shield.
(DenShield)

I'm not sure I like that combo. I would skip the Dens and go with real concrete backer or do what Schluter recommends and use regular wallboard. Or, Kerdi Board.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Kman

Jaz is correct. The thinset mortar between Kerdi and Densshield would take a very long time to dry, since both of those materials are impervious to moisture. Not to mention, you'd be wasting your money with a double vapor barrier.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase