Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #61
HammerMill88

Okay,

Corrected position of pics. Also, I recommend this table saw. A Dewalt , of course by the color, and it has been really reliable. It is one of the most stable table saws I have been around, portable that is. I have abused it for around 3 years now, and it has kept up with me. I just keep good sharp blades in it.

You can see where I supported the floor beneath the jacuzzi. The joists dead-ended at a header in front of the fireplace. Just a little insurance.
Attached Images

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
HammerMill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #62
HammerMill88

I wasn't thinking ahead on my seat/bench, and had my board too short. I took some mesh and nailed it in place, then pulled some wall-mud across it to finish it off.
Attached Images

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #63
HammerMill88

My first Kerdi drain...I found my high-spot and used the height of my level - 2 1/4" - around the perimeter and made a level mark. I packed my screed to this mark, and pulled down to the drain. I used the Gueuzemeister method of deck-mud sandwiched between 254 Platinum (on the floor and on the flange). Oh, there is about 1 1/2" of mud under the flange. at least a 1/4" per ft. slope. And, all screws are 2" HDG, except I used Hardi screws for Hardi. I don't like those screws at all.

The wire is 1x1 galvanized welded-wire hardware cloth (drain is just sitting in hole).

You can see where I reinforced the plaster walls above the shower. I removed all loose plaster up through existing cracks. To get close back into existing wall elevation, I used 1/2" BC topped with 1/4" Hardi. There will be a 6" tile bacd around the top of the shower. I'll just pull hot-mud to patch. Oh yeah, the washers were roughened up on both sides and primed on the back. They were then screwed in through into the studs.
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #64
HammerMill88

The problem I had with the Kerdi was mainly wrapping my outside corners. Like drywall tape, I had a few 'hollow' spots that I cut out, re-thinset, and then patched over them. Hopefully I did it right. Seemed logical. Also, I had to split my-preformed corners because they wanted to puff out. I just used some Kerdi-fix over them. Exspensive stuff!!! but, I like it.

I used a piece of Hardi as my table.
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #65
HammerMill88

Pictures of completed Kerdi install.

You can see I almost cut the wrong hole...the mark is to the outside!!!, not the center!!! I shingled all my layers going up. I covered the floor with thick cardboard after finishing it.
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #66
HammerMill88

This piece of Kerdi cut from one piece. Another picture of Kerdi fix and a small patch where knife slipped and point hit top of Kerdi. __it happens.
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #67
gueuzeman

Looking really good, Joey. But the only blue I see is the plastic electrical box.

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #68
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

I speak for myself when I say this, cause schluter doesn't reccomend it
Next kerdi shower I do I am skipping the premade corners. I'll seam those
awkward corners with kerdi fix. Its good stuff. The only time I need kerdi
is for steam showers, so we'll see how soon that will be anyway, and will
I even remember ? lol.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #69
HammerMill88

Yeah Gueuze, I installed the chameleon stuff.

Yeah Jack, those corners are a rascal. I agree with you on the Kerdi-fix. It is pretty amazing stuff. Sets up quickly too.

Gueuze, he was pretty rough on my floor, even though I layered it with corrugated paper. He through the stuff out after 2 days.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase