Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
TampaDoc

Kerdi/Ditra Travertine questions

I'm a longtime lurker/short time member. I'm doing a very large remodel on my home. This website has been a Godsend. I learned allot here and edjamacated myself. I got the Kerdi book which tied up a few loose ends. But I still have a few more loose ends. So on to the project.

I'm adding an entire second floor and doing 2 bathrooms. The downstairs is pretty straigh forward, ceramic tile Kerdi shower/wheelchair accessable. The upstairs is the big project. It's all being done in Travertine and Marble.

First question. The floor is 1-1/8 plywood that I'm putting Dita on with the 18"x18" Travertine on that. I plan on spacing 1/16" grout lines. My question is what size notch should I use for this. Tile stores are useless, they've said anywhare from 1/4 to 1/2 (most things they've told me where wrong) and it's been like asking Larry, Moe and Curly.

Second, the shower. I'm also using 18"x18" Travertine in the shower with marble accents. I know I can Kerdi over drywall, but with all that weight, I felt safer putting Kerdi on HardiBacker. Again, 1/16" grout lines. Mud shower pan. Shower is 40"x84". What size notch trowel should I use on the walls and should I use the same on the 4"x4" on the mud pan?

Third question. Grout... I've seen a sugestion of mixing of grout and caulk for grouting Travertine. it sounds like a great idea in a normal installation, but with the Kerdi, i'm thinking it may trap the odd moisture behind the Travertine. Is that a good choice or are there better suggestions (reasonably priced, I'm already $20k over budget) for 1/16" grout on travertine and Marble.

Last question (for now). I had a knothead for a plummer, he destroyed about 55 sq feet of floor tile. I had about 10 sq feet set aside for the repairs but he went beyond that a little. The tile store says it hasn't been made that tile in 4 years. I don't want to tear up the other 300sq ft of the tile. Any suggestion where I can locate tiles to match? Any sugestions?

I hope I didn't put too much in one post. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance so you can see my progress.

Jim
TampaDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hi Jim,

welcome to the forum.

a 1/2" trowel will be fine for both applications.

setting the 4x4 "tumbled marble"? on the floor you can use a 3/8" trowel.

third, never heard of mixing grout and caulk to grout 18x18 marble.....I don't think it's good info you read.

last, we are good but not mind readers on what type of tile you have and are looking for.
have a picture or a name of it ?

thanks,

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
TampaDoc

Thanks Brian,
The tiles we need are as follows:
Flecha Gala Rosa Decor it's an 8"x10"
We also need the matching border tile which I don't have the name for but is a 2"x10" with a diagonal basket weave.

We also need a 12'x12' floor tile that is made by Ibero Alcorense the image is of that tile. It is a white tile with gray and moave.
Attached Images

Last edited by TampaDoc; 04-16-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: adding photo
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
TampaDoc

Getting Desperate

I'm really starting to get desperate in searching for these tiles. I've tried emailing the manufacture in Ibero Alcorense in Italy, but they block my email as an "unsolicited email". I've emailed a bunch of tile distributers with no results, still don't even know the name of the tile. I'm rapidly approaching flooring and it's going to be very difficult to to manuver my son's wheelchair over these gaps in the floor to get to his bathroom. Can anyone make some suggestions where else I might look for these tiles?
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I have never seen that tile or the name before.
probably just a one off import that made it into Florida and you got the last of it years ago when you did your original floor.
most likely you'll never find this tile again.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
TampaDoc

Hi Brian, I did this floor about 11 yrs. ago. The tike store I got it from carried it for about 7 years. They told me it was discontinued about 4 years ago. What really gets my goat is that when we got this tile, there were several on the market that were very similar. Now I can't find any except in 16x16". I'd settle for something close if I could find it.
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
TampaDoc

16x16 Too Heavy for a ceiling.

I have 1/2" water resistant drywall on the ceiling in the shower. Would 16x16 Travertine be good to hang on that or is that too much of a load?
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

You'll not find the tile.

Don't use anything bigger than a 1/4x1/4 square notch to install the Ditra.

Greenboard is okay on the ceiling if the joist are 12 in. on center. Otherwise it's best to use regular drywall.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
RollTideFan

Hey Doc, Just a thought if you can't find the same tiles. Would your layout be conducive to put a deco type border in, or some type of mosaic, as a seperator, then transition to another type matching tile to finish the room? Good Luck.
RollTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
TampaDoc

Thanks John, It's a little late to switch out to drywall. So I guess that's a no? It's too heavy?

Just to clarify, you're saying I should use 1/4"x1/4" for putting the 16"x16" Travertine on the Ditra?

Thanks for the suggestion Bama, but unfortunately the plummer really did a number, its right through the middle of the floor in 2 sections.

Here's a question for you tile x-perts. I found a tile that is white that except for the color swatches in it is identical. Could I take those tiles and screen the pattern on and have a ceramic shop re-fire them to match? Just a thought, but like I said I'm desperate.
Unread 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
You can do that, and you can have custom tiles made. None of this is cheap, of course.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
TampaDoc

Sorry I haven't posted more. There just isn't enough hours in the day. I'm split between hanging doors, putting in appliances and hagging sideing. Oh and did I mention 50 hours at work. So the stone work has gone slow. Add to that more than 1000 pieces, most of which I cut. It was a job. But here is where I am. Still have to seal, grout and put all the hardware in, but the tiles are done.
Attached Images

Unread 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
TampaDoc

Sealer Question

I'm using Miracle 511 for sealer and was wondering how long I should wait before grouting?

Last edited by TampaDoc; 08-06-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim. Please go to the UserCP, find Edit Signature and enter that first name there so's we don't gotta search for it, eh?

Progress looks good.

I'm not much familiar with the Miracle 511. I'd visit their website if there are no instructions on the container.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
TampaDoc

Thanx CX, I can't wait to get the rest done.

I've been trying to get to their website all day, it seems to be down. I figured someone here uses it. I'm sealing tomorrow and want to grout Friday if possible.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase