Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
emptysea

Granite Tile Sealer

Is Aquamix Choice Gold a good choice for 12 x 12 granite floor tile? It says no sheen, so will it dull the natural sheen of the granite? I need a good sealer, since it is the floor, and I like the 15 year durability of the Choice Gold. I want to make sure I can use it for both the tile and grout and when exactly to apply it? Thanks.
emptysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Mud Hog

Send a message via Yahoo to Mud Hog
Cool

Emptysea,
There are many types of sealer out there and all say their the best thing on the market. Aqua mix Gold or Sealers Choice Gold is a good sealer, but there are many differant ones on the market that would stand behind their product. I presonaly found success using Stone Tech Professional. Visit their web site and you be the judge. Look at the differant things they tested on the stone. I hope I helped alittle.

Jim
Mud Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Unregistered

Thank You, Mud Hog. I mentioned Aquamix, because it is the one easiest to get. Although I am only doing research at the moment.
Thanks.
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Mike2

emptysea.

Stone Armor available through our on-line store (link above) is another excellent product. It's the one we recommend.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Mud Hog

Send a message via Yahoo to Mud Hog
Keep in mind the type of sealer. There are solvent base sealers and water base sealers. Some also last only 6 months and the good ones last 5 years in the right conditions. Mike2 probabley would agree to spend the money on the longer lasting sealer.
Unread 05-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
emptysea

Thanks, Mike 2 and Mud Hog. I will check out Stone Armour, and also the water vs. solvent part. I know that Aquamix Choice Gold is water based.
Unread 05-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Stone Armor is water base, too. Works the same as Aquamix Sealer's Coice 15 Gold, but Armor has a bit more viscosity. More solids.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
emptysea

Thanks, John, I checked it out, and it seems great.
Unread 05-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Maurizio Bertoli

While I agree on the good quality of the TYW Stone Armor, what everybody seem to have missed is the original question of emptysea:
Quote:
It says no sheen, so will it dull the natural sheen of the granite?
Our friend must be thinking that an impregnator/sealer could have any effect on the finish of the stone surface, which is not the case since an impregnator is a below-surface product.
Which brings another couple of questions:
1. Does emptysea have any idea on what to expect from an impregnator/sealer?
2. Does Emptysea "granite" need to be sealed?
An impregnator/sealer only helps preventing staining, but offers no protection whatsoever to the stone surface. Most importantly it must be absorbed by the stone to work! Now we all know that there are "granites" out there that won't absorb a darn thing! Not only that: because of that, certain "granites" will develop some "mysterious problem" in the form of "ghost stains" that nobody will ever be able to remove if an impregnator is applied to them anyway. (The only way to remove those "stains" is to strip the stupid sealer that had no business being there in the first place! Quite a difficult proposition to do. )
So, emptysea, don't buy into ... empty blanket rules! They can not (and in fact they do not) apply to such a diversified subject as natural stone. If your particular "granite" doesn't need to be sealed just don't do it and concentrate at impregnating the grout only. The TYW product is quite good at that, too!
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 05-04-2004, 06:45 AM   #10
emptysea

Thank You, Maurizio. According to findstone.com the granite I am considering has an absorbtion rate of 0.15-3.5% and is from the gneiss group. That tells me it is one that granites that needs to be sealed. Especially since it will be used in an entryway that will see traffic everyday.

The forum might remember I was originally going to use Vermont Slate tiles for the entry way, but I changed my mind. I decided granite will be a much better choice. Especially aesthetically.
Unread 05-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
Maurizio Bertoli

emptysea;
Then, yes, by all means, your stone does need to be sealed with a good quality stone impregnator. TYW product will fit the bill just fine and it will help support this priceless site, which you and so many others are benefiting from.
As for your choice of granite over slate - regardless of aesthetic consideration (which are strictly personal preference territory) - believe you me, you made one of the most intelligent decisions of your life!!
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 05-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #12
Mike2

Not only that emptysea, but even if you were using a granite with an absorbtion rate of .0005%, you would still want to seal the floor - assuming of course there's some grout down there.

I've used Stone Armor on granite and noticed absolutely no change in appearance once dry.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
emptysea

Thank You, Maurizio, I have to agree with you, it is a good choice, *lol*.

That's good to know, Mike2, Thanks. I am a little worried about any change of appearance. Yes, there will be grout, I am not a total tile mess, *lol*. I haven't picked out the color or brand of grout yet.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase