Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #106
dawedler

Ok, thanks. Makes sense.

Another question:
For installing the marble threshold cap and knee wall cap, should I use thinset or a silicone adhesive?
Unread 11-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #107
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Typically, thinset.....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #108
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have found that fabricators like to use silicone for everything, even in a shower. I use thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #109
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Same hereā€¦.the fabricators around these parts always use 100% silicone (only tool in their arsenal), but I use thinset mortar.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #110
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
+1 on the mortar.

While it's way easier to gun out a few thick beads of silicone the stuff is just too flexible, doesn't harden. Not an issue if no one, ever, steps on the marble curb but definitely a risk of snapping it if someone does.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #111
dawedler

Well, that's 4 Yeas for mortar, and with good rationale, so I'm going with that.
Unread 01-20-2022, 08:00 PM   #112
dawedler

Shower tile is installed and I am getting ready to tile the bathroom floor. It is a concrete slab. I am using 12x24" tiles. The floor space that I am tiling is 8' (entry door to tub) x 5' (side to side).
The floor seems to be level from the entry door to about 5' into the bathroom and then it has a slight slope down the last 3' to the tub. With a straight edge from that high point, the gap at the tub is about 3/16". A 24" tile set centered on that 5' mark does rock.
I was considering using a self leveling underlayment on the section toward the tub. My other thought was to grind and taper the high point down to level it out. Or do I just ignore it and use extra thin set mortar to compensate?
I purchased some Mapei Ultraplan 1 Plus self leveler and the Mapei Primer T. I have never used this or any other self leveler.

I have read different things about the results of self levelers. What is the recommended remedy?
Unread 01-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #113
cx
Moderator emeritus

We still working on that 2010 bathroom remodel, Doug?

Your tiles don't care a whit about whether your floor is level, they care only about flat. On a concrete SOG floor, grinding down the high spots is always a good idea as a start in flattening. By your description, I can't tell if a self-leveling material would be a good option as opposed to some sort of cementitious patching material.

If you're set on using an SLC, have you considered where level will actually end up at all points on the floor?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #114
dawedler

Quote:
We still working on that 2010 bathroom remodel, Doug?
Yep!

I guess I should have used the term flat rather than level. The high point is from the concrete sloping gradually up to the from the door wall to about 5' from the door and then sloping down toward the tub. Creating a slight ridge. See attached photo diagram. The high point is very subtle, but enough that the tile will rock on it when I lay it on that point.

I'm not set on using a SLC. If I did, I was wondering if I could pour it from the tub side to the high point and feather it or do I need to pour it on the whole floor? I read a thread on here discussing the merits of using thin set to flatten the surface. It had a variety of opinions.
I think I would rather try to grind it down if that is a preferable option. I did use a cement patch material to fill in some divots left from removing the old tile.
Attached Images

Unread 01-21-2022, 10:20 AM   #115
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
IMO, I'd not use thinset mortar for flattening that much floor, Doug. Aside from it not being truly fit for purpose, it is kinda sticky and would thus be miserable to try to pull a screed across. A few square inches is one thing, many square feet is another.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2022, 08:32 PM   #116
dawedler

Thanks for the guidance.
I went ahead and used a grinder. Messy, dusty job, but the result was great. I now have a nice flat surface.
Unread 02-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #117
dawedler

Recommended grouts for bathroom?

I am grouting the shower floor and walls, as well as the bathroom floor. Shower walls are 24x24" porcelain tile, shower floor 2x2" porcelain, bathroom floor is 12x24" porcelain. Also have some glass mosaic trim around top of the shower and tub. Grout lines are 1/8" (glass is a little tighter, 1/16" I think).

I am looking at Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA and Laticrete Permacolor. Or premixed options of Mapei Flexcolor CQ or Laticrete Spectralock 1.

Recommendations or thoughts on what would be best for this job? Ultracolor Plus or Permacolor? Or the premixed options?
Unread 02-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #118
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The Spectralock isn't premixed, it's an epoxy grout that in my opinion is the best grout around. It is harder to work with and much more expensive. I would add Custom's Prism to your list. It's an excellent grout that's probably the easiest to use of the grouts listed. Again, that's just my opinion.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2022, 07:50 PM   #119
eagle4x

I have something in common with Doug...I've been working on my bathroom since 2010 but it's actually converting a bedroom to a master bath instead of a remodel.

It's taking so long because:

1) I'm trying to do most of the work myself (except for a few contractors) to save $ but I have a 40/hr. week job.

2) One contractor I hired didn't install the shower pan square and has caused a lot of work getting the studs plumb. This damn shower has been a pain in the ass. Still have flooring, painting, plumbing fixtures, left to do when shower completed.

3) My house is 55 yr. old and other problems came up that were more urgent...such as:

a) Water heater bursting and having to replace it and some hardwood flooring.
b) The water in drain pipe in washer not draining and had to cut out steel pipe and replace with pvc because the steel pipe clogged up.
c) Water leeching in my crawlspace and and to install a french drain around my house...digging the ditch, waterproofing the foundation, laying the pipe, and getting the correct slope so the water would drain to the ditch...took about 3 years. I did most of the work myself except for the backhoe operator I hired.
d) Water from 2nd bath shower door leaking over many years caused floor to rot, so I had to replace the floor. Ceramic tiles on all the walls in the bathroom so I had to remove the bottom row of the tile so I could install backer/tile after wood floor replaced.
e) Termites ate about 25% of my storage shed and had to remove bottom 1' edge of walls with a skill saw and part of the floor. Floor replaced but walls are still a work-in-progress.

Many other less critical things on my to do list...bathroom is the priority now.

The joys of home ownership

Last edited by eagle4x; 02-03-2022 at 08:00 PM.
eagle4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #120
dawedler

@Davy

Thanks for the tips Davy.
I believe Spectralock 1 is a premixed grout (where Spectralock is not premixed).

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase