Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #1
bradpatterson

marble mosaic tile grout

I am going to use marble mosaic tile on a kitchen back splash, i was going to use mapei flexcolor cq grout but ive read where it could scratch the marble the grout joints will be 1/8 or maybe smaller, does anybody have any suggestions of what grout to use i like the mapei and have used it multiple times with good results, but i don't want to mess up my tile,

Thanks Brad.
Unread 01-20-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Brad.

I suggest your make up a test board with your tiles and try the Flexcolor CQ grout. When I tested it after it first came out, I did not find it very abrasive at all. YMMV.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Brad; CX as usual nailed it with his response!

It is very worthwhile to do a mock-up of exactly what you are installing to see how all the setting materials and tile will work together. This will show you if the mortar may stain the tile, if the grout might scratch, and etc.

That said, Flexcolor CQ uses a color-coated quartz aggregate to give the product its color. The coating on these little granules makes them a little less sharp, which lessens the risk of scratching. That's not to say it will not scratch, but it's less prone to scratching marble as regular sanded grout is.

I hope that helps!

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
bradpatterson

Marble tile

I have installed quite a bit of tile but never marble, I will be doing my kitchen backsplash in 3x5 Carrara marble, can someone give me some advice on which thinset to use and what notch trowel to use I will have 1/16 grout lines on a running bond pattern I’m assuming a 1/4 inch notch trowel but didn’t want the thinset oozing out the joints and have a bunch of clean up , thanks Brad
Unread 04-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Notch size will depend on the thickness of the tile/marble, Brad. How flat the substrate is can also be a factor, but not so much with those 3X5's.

I recently installed some 3/8" thick 4X8's with a 1/16" grout joint and a 1/4" square notch trowel was just fine. I used Versabond thinset mortar. Any similar mortar will be fine, just be sure it is white, not gray.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2022, 06:20 AM   #6
bradpatterson

mapei ultracolor plus fa

Hello,

Im thinking of using this grout on a carerra marble back splash, ive never used this grout before ive used flex color cq, how does this grout compare to flexcolor cq as far as installing it i know cq clean up can be difficult hope somebody can give me some tips about using this.
Unread 04-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Welcome back, Brad,

I tested both CQ and FA on un-sealed, matte/honed finish marble. CQ left a film that I couldn't remove. Sealing the marble helped but not a whole bunch. I ended up using FA, but did seal the top of the marble first, and didn't have any problem with it.

But that was my marble, yours might be different. Really best to test the grout on a sample first.
Unread 04-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Brad, when we (TYW) tested the similar Custom product (Fusion Pro) when it first came out, we found it difficult to clean off a tumbled marble product. The fix was to use a grout release on the stone first. Worked quite well and I'd expect it to be the same with the Flexcolor CQ.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Either grout should work fine but you should always test first. If you use Flexcolor CQ then it's not a bad idea to seal the marble with a water-based sealer first.

If you go with FA then an oil-based sealer would be a better choice. If your grout joints are 1/16th the FA is what you want to go with.
Unread 05-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
bradpatterson

which grout to use

Ive installed my marble back splash and sealed the tile, I am ready to grout should i use the mapei ultra color plus fa or should i just use the ultra plus ive never use the ultra color plus fa before im not sure if there is a learning curve with it or not.
Attached Images

Unread 05-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Prism from Home Depot...

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Welcome, Brad,

FA will work, but it does set up pretty fast and has a pretty short pot life. If you choose to use it, and if you work as slowly as I do, plan on making small batches. To do that you'll need to measure the grout and the water to ensure the correct, repeatable ratio in order to ensure the color of each batch matches.
Unread 05-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Fa
Unread 05-12-2022, 03:40 AM   #14
bradpatterson

grout

i guess my next question has anyone had issues with the fa grout scratching marble.
Unread 05-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #15
ss3964spd

I recently used FA to grout a marble floor, no scratches.

Still, marble is fairly soft, some more so than others. While the FA didn't scratch mine it's possible it'll scratch yours.

Best to test it first on your marble.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase