Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #31
Casman

Thanks, So that I got you right, I should skip the epoxy grout? I’ll run the search in the morning to learn more.
Enclosure will be likely 3/8 glass inline with extension for the bench and door, or inline with panel for the bench and barn door style slider door one side fixed.
Unread 11-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris
I should skip the epoxy grout?
Almost certainly, you wouldn't want the resin from the epoxy leaching through the sides of the marble. If it does, and it stains the stone, it will be permanent. Epoxy will also slow the rate of evaporation of the water moisture that the stone tile will, definitely, absorb.

If you were working with a low absorption and glazed porcelain tile I'd go with (and did) the epoxy grout due to its water proof properties.

For the curb there's no reason you can't join those two pieces with a, or multiple, 1/16th joints. But you might consider visiting a local stone shop to see if they have a left over piece of marble that they can fabricate to the dimensions you need.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #33
Casman

Welp, I have grouted my backsplash and niche over the wall mount toilet. Preparing to seal the shower and floor. My question involves grouting larger marble pieces. I’m no expert by any means but why when I watch videos on grouting why do I see them putting the grout all over the place vs just targeting the grout lines themselves? It this for ease of just getting large amounts of grout to push into the grout lines? Seems it’s a lot more to clean off when they put grout on an entire 12x24 pieces of tile. Thanks for advice.

Last edited by Casman; 11-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Casman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #34
ss3964spd

It's done for ease and speed, Cris. You want to spread the grout at an angle to the grout lines anyway, and with a standard size grout float you're going to get grout on a lot of the tile. Careful work with the float won't leave much on the tile.

That said, when I grouted my 12X24's with epoxy I kept close to the grout lines and mostly used the short side of the float. In my limited experience the epoxy doesn't spread like regular grout, I had to really force it into the joints.

on the wall hung toilet.
Unread 01-18-2022, 08:21 PM   #35
Casman

Welp, I’m about done. I got a quote for shower glass and it just seemed ridiculously high @ $4K installed. I decided to just do it myself. My total $1550. Just waiting for the last piece of glass. Thanks for all the help, this forum is the best.
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #36
ss3964spd

Wow, turned out really nice, Cris, well done. Mrs. Cris has great taste!

Wall mounted toilets are the bomb.
Unread 01-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #37
Casman

Thanks Dan, my girls are happy as the embarrassing bathroom is gone!! Now I remodeling the dining room, lots of plaster repair and 100+ years of hack jobs. Currently I took a detour to urgent care as my finger got in the way of the carpet blade. I glued it back together but I need stitches. Not sure what they’re doing back there as I’m the only one here. Been here 1.5 hrs. Gal asked is it actively bleeding. I replied, I dunno, might have bled out by now. Lol.
Unread 01-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #38
lochrie22

Looks Good!

Is that a tile floor register?
Unread 01-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Ha, I bleed on every single remodeling job I do, sometimes a lot.

I think there's still blood on the bottom plate of my hand-held electric planer. That thing has tried to kill me twice.
Unread 01-20-2022, 09:58 AM   #40
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mmmm, Dan? Don't pewt your hand on the bottom of your electric planer. This is not a good thing.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #41
Casman

Chad, yes the floor register has individually cut pieces to match the floor.

This morning I had a medical chart email which said Test Results. I didn’t have any tests so I opened it…Good grief I guess they document everything…
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase