Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like a plan.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #17
SilverBullet07

I have one corner of the room, a 3x4 area corner that is sloped and un-leval. 1/4 is the max then feathers out.

Can I level it by adding thin set heavy there under the ditra? Or should I get a self leveling underlayment for that area? If so, what should I use. Most I have read says use on exterior grade plywood and I do not think my top 1/2 plywood is exterior grade. I have seen some premix to that can trowel on and level.

Just wondering how I should handle it.

Last edited by SilverBullet07; 01-02-2022 at 10:46 AM.
SilverBullet07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your tile cares not a whit about level, Harold, only about flat. If your floor needs flattening, you need to do that prior to installing the Ditra or similar sheet membrane. You do not wanna use anything "pre-mixed" for that purpose.

I can't tell for sure what that plywood is from your photo, but if it's not an exterior glue type, you don't want it there. If it had thinset mortar on it before and the surface ply didn't try to come off, chances are it's and exterior glue plywood. But you wanna know that for sure before you apply thinset mortar again.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #19
SilverBullet07

I was able to get the subfloor flat this weekend. Now I am playing around with the layout before I secure the ditra.

She decided on 12x24 tiles. She wanted a middle area bordered by a marble Basketweave Mosaic Border. Then the 12x24 tiles continuing to the walls.

So a couple questions:

If the tiles are ran with a 15-30% off set, in the middle area I will need three cuts where the Basketweave Mosaic Border will run around it. Is that acceptable to have these cuts in the middle? First image to show what I mean.

The other thought was to stack bond them like in the 2nd photo. Not sure if it is recommended. The tile are premium porcelain rectified tile. They all seem to be the same size with a few only having slight cupping. Nothing seems major but the box recommended a 15-30% offset and not a 50%. Also the tile edges are sharp and square.

She is fine offset or stack bond. Any suggestions with how I may proceed?
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverBullet07; 01-11-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Unread 01-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Is that acceptable to have these cuts in the middle?
Mmmm, is that a trick question, Harold? It's acceptable only if it makes the tiles fit the intended layout.

If the tile manufacturer is recommending a 15 - 30% offset, they mean no greater offset than 30 percent. They are not at all precluding a zero offset stacked pattern. The choice of pattern is strictly an aesthetic one and should be based upon what "she" wants. If you can pin that down, of course.

Unread 01-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #21
SilverBullet07

Thanks cX. I have always heard to make sure your cuts are at the wall to hide them. In this situation they can not be hidden. So I guess you just have to make sure you make perfect cuts.
Unread 01-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

And treat the edges after the cuts. On some tiles it is borderline impossible to effectively hide a cut in the field. Nonsense! On some tiles it is impossible to hide the cuts.

Frequently you can get by just using a rubbing stone on the edge, but with glazed tiles where the glaze and the tile body are of dramatically different colors, especially if the tiles have even slightly pillowed edges, it's not gonna work well. You'll hafta judge the possibilities for your particular tiles.

But if you wanna have the offset pattern in there, you gotta make the cuts.

Unread 01-12-2022, 06:08 AM   #23
SilverBullet07

Thanks again for the help.

These edges seem like it would be easy to cut and hide in the field. Factory straight edge that don’t seem to need any rubbing with a stone.
Attached Images

Unread 01-13-2022, 09:10 AM   #24
jeffnc

The Custom unmodified is pretty crappy. Go with the Mapei Uncoupling mortar.
Unread 01-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #25
jeffnc

Cuts are OK depending on how fine your tile saw blade works. If it's a little rough, I keep one of these on hand for smoothing out the cut edges.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Grindi.../dp/B00REIPAP6
Unread 01-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #26
SilverBullet07

So working on this layout, trying a 6” offset layout and ran into a question. May be hard to explain but If I keep the pattern flowing from the field through the middle correctly the border makes up 4” of the 6” offset. Meaning on a couple tiles it has a 2” piece of tile at the border. Wonder if that is exceptable?

Since it is a little hard to explain, I tried to add what I mean to the it to photo. I don’t know but maybe shifting the middle tiles one way or another might help. Stack tile layout would not have the issue I’m seeing.

If that two inch piece is to small, which I thought it might be, I can work on shifting the middle field some
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

I usually remain well clear of design questions, Harold, but I wouldn't even consider trying to match an offset layout both within and without that border. Even if you could make it work well, which does not appear to be the case. Why bother with the border if you were fixin' to do that?

Unread 01-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #28
SilverBullet07

I thinking a stack tile layout may be better. I was able to shift the tiles to where the smallest cut was a 4” piece. Would that be to small?
The stack layout would not require any small cuts.

Last edited by SilverBullet07; 01-19-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Unread 01-19-2022, 10:42 PM   #29
jeffnc

If you do it that way you have to cut Tees which just doesn't look very good. It's like your inlay is fighting with your main tile pattern.

So if you want to do that, what I would do is lay out your entire floor pattern just with the big tiles as they would be with no inlay. Then lay your inlay on top of the tiles so that the inlay stays inside the grout lines of whatever column you pick. Then draw a line inside that inlay and cut the tiles inside that line so those are all smaller rectangles. I'm sure that doesn't make sense to you, but I'm not gonna go get some tiles so I can lay that out and take a pictures

Imagine if you just laid a picture frame down on your floor. Then trace around the picture frame, take away the frame, then cut out where the frame was. That's basically what you need to do with the pattern, rather than try to fit the inlay in with the big tiles, because they won't match that way. It has to be a cutout into the pattern that already is there.
Unread 01-20-2022, 05:57 AM   #30
SilverBullet07

Thanks Jeff I understand exactly what you are saying. I’ll play around with that idea this weekend and see if I can simulate what you are saying.

Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase