Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #16
SkiPOW

I double checked the other corners, slope is 1/4 for three. 1/8 for the middle and front outside corner.
Unread 01-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, it's not too late to change out the floor if you wanna do that. It will cost you a new drain and enough membrane to do a new floor with enough banding to fold up the walls.

Actually, if you've done a good job of bonding your membrane directly to the top of your existing drain, a case could be made for you to simply cut the membrane around the outside of the drain flange and bond new membrane to the existing on the drain after forming your mortar bed. See my warranty information below.

Another consideration is the thickness of your mortar bed at the drain with this approach. If your drain flange is not sitting above the subfloor an absolute minimum of 3/4" I would not try making a mud bed with the old drain in place.

Entirely up to you whether you want to live with what you've got or spend the extra time and money to have a properly sloped shower floor. I would, of course, vote for the new floor, but the cost on my end will be quite minimal, eh?

[Edit] Now that I see your last comment, all I can say, again, is that it's entirely up to you. If you fear there might be some pooling of water in the poorly sloped areas, I'd still wanna fix it. But I won't hafta live with it either way.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 01-14-2022 at 09:06 PM.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #18
SkiPOW

Smile

Thanks for the excellent advice! I think I will go for the proper slope option, great warranty. .

The current drain does have a good bond, so will cut around it. If the height is less than 3/4", new drain it is!

Thanks again, have a great night.
Unread 01-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Marie, given that you're subfloor is wood framed and most probably with a single layer of OSB, I believe Herr Schluter would require the minimum mortar bed thickness to be one inch. And more wouldn't hurt. Keep that in mind.

And you did see the note I appended to my post number 17?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2022, 07:58 PM   #20
SkiPOW

CX,

I did see the edit on your last post.

Thank you!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase