Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
Timbo78

Large Format Porcelain

Hi everyone- I'm installing some 48"x48" Porcelain tile. I'm using a snap cutter and having a problem with the very top of the cut chipping. The rest of the cut is absolutely perfect but I can't seem to figure out how to prevent the top from chipping. Any ideas other than finding someone with a bridge saw? Thank you!
Unread 01-12-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Tim.

What snap cutter are you using?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
Timbo78

I believe it's the CO-Z
Unread 01-13-2022, 12:14 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Is the cut consistently veering off to the same side?

I’d ask the usual questions about having a sharp scoring wheel and if the bar is sliding very freely, but I’m going to guess this is a new tool in perfect shape…and is sliding smoothly. If so…

Fairly often, it takes a pretty high quality snap cutter to snap tiles cleanly. It may be that you need the extra precision from a higher dollar tool to cut cleanly all the way across. Sigma is one such brand that is famous for cleanly snapping tough porcelains. I’ve never used your brand saw. And I’m not a tool snob. I’ll use whatever works, irrespective of its cost. But your tool is only 1/7th the cost of the Sigma. So, you might have to be satisfied that your tool is doing the best it can.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #5
Timbo78

Yeah, that makes some sense. But the reason I'm wondering if there's some technique I'm missing is because the rest of the cut is laser-perfect. Indistinguishable from the factory edge. So the scoring wheel is good so I'm wondering (given the fairly simple physics of the tool) what could be different in another higher-end model?
Unread 01-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Cutters with the rubber pads like that will have a hard time with a large format that isn’t ceramic. You need to spend close to 1k or more to get a quality cutter that will reliably cut most tiles.
Unread 01-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Larger cutters the spline stands proud and the piece will teeter slightly, some things need brute force also.
Unread 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

This was a while ago...when someone was demonstrating cutting a large format tile, they put the cutter in a bit, and pushed it off of the end rather than starting at the outside, and cutting the whole thing in one swipe.

Maybe someone can verify that. The tile can get expensive, so experimenting may not be something you want to do, but if you have one you can't use any more, try that. It may have been specific to that particular cutter...I do not know if it is a generic thing that might work on various designs.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I use and like my Ishii cutter. Mine will not go 48" but I do generally "backcut" about an inch before doing the major score, as you can see in my video. Not sure if the chipping issue you have is here or on the top. A good quality tungsten wheel also is essential....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTX8DtndtvQ

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Another review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NohqaEdtcSI

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Unread 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

"Sigma" is another great cutter. Here is a review with the Sigma vs the Ishii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWgt6FYIcQ

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase