Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
openhand
Gandolf

Why Not use more Lexel?

I'm considering using Lexel on a tub to tile connection that needs to be cleaned out and re done. The tub/shower is used by a family of four and it's their only shower/tub, so there's constantly lots of moisture at that connection and it needs to be placed back in service very soon. I think Lexel is the sealant to use because it requires white (lexel comes in white and clear), and chances of having a thoroughly dry area to apply are low, and Lexel sticks to wet surfaces. It also inhibits mold and mildew. It also may be stickier than silicone and when it cures, it's very tough and holds up to scrubbing. I redid a wooden backsplash to formica connection in a sink area and when I wipe the area the Lexel is flexible and tough and doesn't pull out of the crack. One of it's drawbacks is that it does shrink, so if the connection is large, two lifts will probably be required. It also needs to be tooled with mineral spirits or soapy water and done quickly because it skins over fast, so precision is required. I have searched for Lexel on this forum and found very few references to the use of this material and wonder why? Has anyone used Lexel in a similar application and had it not perform well? Looking forward to your responses!
Unread 01-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think we need a link to the product you're discussing, Clark.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
openhand
Gandolf

Link to Sashco's Lexel

https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

I also posted a link to this post to the Sashco site and hope someone there will participate. The product is pricey but they're very available to give phone support.
Unread 01-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Clark,

I had never heard of the product let alone use it, but after watching the video I wouldn't be afraid to use it in your application.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2022, 11:32 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

For tile and tub work, I don’t think it’s used because 1) it has limited availability, and 2) it doesn’t come in needed colors. I think of it as a high-performance product with a great reputation. But clear won’t cover the unsightly, but required gaps at corner/perimeters of the materials we are installing…and white is only appropriate for a minority of occasions. Whereas, 100% silicone is available in hundreds of colors to match tiles, tubs, & countertops. Even though color-matched silicones are 50%-100% more in cost than Lexel, it’s worth it. Using the right color is a nice finishing detail.

If you are re-doing the caulk on a tub and are concerned about it but being dry enough, you need to vacuum the joint, then wipe it down with denatured alcohol.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
openhand
Gandolf

Thanks For the input!

I love the shop vac denatured alcohol tip! Thanks to all for your input.
Unread 01-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Its NASTY! Used it once on a cast iron white tub. Does not tool very nicely and if I remember there is a warning not to use on an Acrylic or Fiberglass material. 100 % silicone is the way to go. The only two I recommend are Latisil from Laticrete or Mapesil T from Mapei. My go to is Mapesil T. Multi colors and dries to a matt finish unlike Latisil that has a gloss to it.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #8
openhand
Gandolf

Lexel on acrylic

It does well with acrylic and I think it adheres better than silicone. Sashco is always available by phone if you have a question. (I sound like a paid ad, but I'm not!) But you're right about the color/sheen match. Funny how some refer to how hard it is to find-the caulk shelves in all the local hardware stores here in VT and NH all stock clear and white. Only clear and white, though..
Unread 01-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
SpaceCadet

I think lexel is a regional thing. I've only used it for exterior stuff like windows and holding plastic on a chimney (don't ask) but I would use it in a tub surround if white was acceptable. It can be a bit tough to tool but not bad: Put soapy water on your finger and swipe. Best thing about it is that, unlike silicone, it sticks to itself. That means a) you can caulk and tool a little at a time and b) if you screw up or it breaks, you can put more of it on without having to completely clean out the joint.

If you can find lexel, you can probably find tower tech 2. It sounds like it would work for a tub surround but I'm not sure. If you're willing to experiment, you could give it a try. It comes in different colors and has a matte finish, is very easy to apply, cleans up with water, urethane based, and is extremely flexible. It does shrink quite a bit.
Unread 01-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #10
openhand
Gandolf

I appreciate all the feedback. Caulk is, I find, a big topic and there's so much to learn. When I look at the roof gutter of my 2005 GMC van there's a 1/2 bead of factory sealant with original paint on it, and I'm amazed how it endures, always outside, summer and VT winters, completely stable after all these years.. Sorry, a bit off topic. I just used Wedi sealant to block the end of a shower glass channel that was leaking into a wall and am hoping for the best- I told the customers to wait a few hours and then start doing a lot of showers to see if it holds! I think it's the same formulation as Schluter fix? Doesn't shrink and dries like rubber.
Unread 01-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #11
speed51133

it is crystal clear once dry (at least the clear is), which I like. It is also a much better "glue". I have put it around escutcheons and it holds them well and you cannot even see it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase