Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
Surfnsail

Ditra before drywall

I have a curbless Kerdi shower I built and would like to waterproof test up to the ditra before I drywall the room below. The only issue is, I also cannot drywall/tile the whole room for a while. New siding is being installed and it may puncture pipes in the walls due to the nail lengths required for our wind zone. How can I protect the ditra so it doesn't get damaged and can have people use ladders and walk on it over the next few months? Can I cover it with ram board? Can I Prefill it and leave it for months? Does schluter allow this?
Unread 12-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would strongly recommend you not install the Ditra until the drywall work in the room is finished, Spencer.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Kman

I would have to agree. It has to do with point loads on Ditra. While filled and covered with tile, point loads are spread out over whatever the tile size is. When unfilled and not covered with something rigid, those little channels that are dovetailed and only 1/8" high will be crushed underneath say, the feet of a ladder.

If you had something really good and flat, and rigid, it might work. But do you really want to go to the trouble and expense just to cover the floor and save maybe a day's work down the road?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
Surfnsail

Thanks everyone. You confirmed what I thought.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase