Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

24x24 inch porcelain install

Hi everyone.
I will ask for answers instead of searching the forums. In my defense I use the tapatalk app and the search function sucks. I am also going to ask about what others would charge and I don't need none answers that included things like different areas charge different prices. Anyways...

I have a been asked to prep a concrete slab and install 275 feet of 24"x24" porcelain tile. I have never installed square tile that size. The biggest has been 20x20. I will grind the concrete, install 275 square feet of tile, standard install, not sure of the spacer size, in a square room with no weird angles. Probably center it with even cuts all the way around.
The tiles weigh 22 pounds each according to the customer. What is the correct way to install this? Let me guess, read the manufactures recommended.... Typically, what's the correct way to install tile of this size?
Does one use a good large format thinset and install the same way that they would for 18x18 or does it need something different like a dry pack mortar bed?
I think I will pass off is the latter.

Any tricks and tips for this job that I am not sure that I want to do?

Travis

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
jerrymlr1

24x24 that weighs 22 lbs? Ok. What did you charge for the 20x20? It's not that much of a difference. Push for a larger grout joint, 3/16 to 1/4. 1/2" trowel and flatten the floor as best you can. If that means thinset to level then so be it.....

It really isn't much different. Charge a little more than you would on the 18 or 20 and go for it Travis.

Quote:
Does one use a good large format thinset and install the same way that they would for 18x18
There you go.
Unread 03-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Do you think 22 pound sounds light or heavy or neither? Iam thinking it sounds light. I forget what I charged for the other floor but thinking about charging 10 bucks a foot for this floor. I am also purchasing, cutting, installing the baseboard.

I hesitate mainly because of the weight. That is assuming all the setting practices are the same as other but smaller large format tile.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Unread 03-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

No, it sounds too heavy. 3.5# per square foot puts you in the ballpark of what a lot of ceramic/porcelain tile is. Perhaps this stuff is uber thick and it really is 22# a piece.

But I wouldn’t count on only grinding the high parts and thinking you can get the floor flat. You’ll need to fill the valleys, as well. Charge enough for prep. You have to drag a 10’ straightedges around on the floor in 43 different directions to get an idea of how good or outrageously bad it is. Prep should be per hour, unless you feel you understand ahead of time how much grinding and filling you’ll be doing.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
jerrymlr1

22 sounds heavy. Like Bubba says, check the floor. If it's to outaflat then charge accordingly. That is absolutely the key to laying the larger tile.
Unread 03-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I go see the material personally first. I’ve done a deck and several steps out of 3/4 porcelain pavers and won’t do another with it. Sounds similar since the weight is close. Cutting it was painfully slow. Only reason to use it is for pavers in a sand bed imo
Unread 03-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Update.
They are 32x32 inch tile and they weigh 22 pounds each, or 44 pounds per box. I haven't read though the info yet.
But here's the link to the product. I told him $2950 for installing 215 square feet, and this includes picking the tile up an hour away from the job. What about transporting the tile? Does it have to be transported vertically as pictured or can it be shipped horizontally?

https://www.tilebar.com/rift-spr-gra...lain-tile.html

Edit: Here's the tile. I am starting to think that I don't want to do the job.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shady at Best; 03-10-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Unread 03-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
jerrymlr1

That's some funky way of wrapping the tile. I would want to inspect it and check flatness and dimension precision. Also check for different lots. With that pallet setup it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple different shades in there.

As for installing, again do whatever you can to get it flat. Then a 1/2" trowel, backbutter, and you should be good to go Travis. Have you got a wetsaw that'll cut that stuff? I would also keep a cinder block handy to dress the blade and fairly often.

If you can do 18x18 you should be able to manage this, I think anyway.
Unread 03-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I have installed a ton of large format tile.
I would use a 3/4 notch trowel.
back butter
check for kiln release
use clips
collect money
easy

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

32"? I'd go up another 50% over the 24" size.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Laying them flat and stacking them on top of each other might cause the ones on the bottom to crack if they are at all bowed. That's probably why they are stacked vertically.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady at Best View Post
The tiles are all of the same lot. H/o says that they were custom made for them.
Transport wasn't as big as a deal the customer was making it. They had me second guessing myself.
Speaking of which. The slab has a decent Crack through it and is a tad wavy. How would you tackle the issues? I am planning on using self leveler. But what about the Crack? What Crack isolation membrane do you all like?
See attached photos.
Attached Images

Unread 03-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #13
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

We would run Noble TS on the whole floor.
Unread 03-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Don't know if you've ever used it but SLC doesn't self level like you might think. I would use a straight edge to screed it in the low areas after grinding the high spots in the slab. I also would put down a crack isolation membrane over the whole floor.

I can see using a 1/2 inch notch trowel. That should be big enough if you work on getting the floor flat. I don't know if I've ever used a 3/4 inch notch. I have installed 24x48 porcelain and used a 1/2 inch notch but my walls and floors were very flat.

11mm is roughly 7/16 thick.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase