Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
theeld

Tile Garage Floor - Trench Drain Threshold

Hello,
I am considering tiling my concrete garage floor. I have a trench drain at the rear of the garage embedded in concrete. The existing concrete is somewhat chipped and spalled where the concrete meets the HDPE drain. If I were able to repair such that the concrete/drain threshold is again uniform, would anyone suggest I apply some waterproofing where the drain meets the concrete before tiling? Is this something that is commonly done. I hate the thought of water working its way in the crack between the concrete and poly and causing future damage.

When tiling, should I overlap this threshold just a bit with tile? Or Tile up to it and epoxy grout the edge? Trying to prevent causing future damage at this troublesome area.

Would applying redgard at this juncture work as I expect? A close-up is attached.
Attached Images

Unread 09-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, theeld. As I requested in your previous thread, please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

It will also help if you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile so folks can see what the project is located to help in answering some types of questions, this one included.

Does this drain area see vehicular traffic?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Kman

If I were going to put a waterproofing layer on any area outside the drain, I'd want it to cover the entire area that might see moisture. In a garage, that's likely to be the entire garage. At least it would be in mine.

Any cracks in the slab?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, epoxy grout on the edges at the drain might not work reliably long-term. I think I'd look into what was required to raise the drain so that it was either flush or just below the tile, and probably use a profile on the edge to protect things especially if heavy things were going to cross over it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
theeld

There arent many cracks in the floor besides those of course in the control joints where it is supposed to crack. The area does have vehicular traffic as it is at rear or door. my main concern is allowing moisture to sit at the where the drain meets the hdpe trench drain, eroding the already degrading edge, hence the reason I was thinking for waterproofing this edge (below tile of course). Before tiling, I was planning on "repairing" this edge in some manner. As far as a profile I was thinking porcelain tile/epoxy grout may be strong enough to endure regular traffic, but maybe one could miter the tile here?
Unread 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What about that self leveling stuff used in the joints around ceement ponds ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

I still can't visualize where this drain is located, Lyle, but in your part of the country, waterproofing before you tile sounds like a good idea. Especially if you get a good deal of water on that floor with too little slope.

There are concrete patching compounds out there to do the repair, some available at your local home center.

I agree with both Kevin and Jim that you should waterproof the entire wet area and put some kinda rounded profile on the edge of the tiles at the drain. Raising the drain grate to the level of the top of the tiles as Jim suggests would also be a good idea.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
Kman

I imagine it runs parallel to the opening, just inside the door. Keeps water from sitting inside the garage.

If you were just to waterproof around the drain area, then water outside that area could seep underneath the waterproofing layer.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd do the same, use the waterproofing over the whole thing if I'm going to use it at all.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase