Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-27-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
Patsy_SC

Angry Tile Grout ?

I have a question about our tile grout. My tile was put down about a year and half ago. My friends was put down at the same time. We are having a problem with the grout coming out in places. We had some replaced but are having more to come out now. What can be the problem and how can we fix it? The same person put down the tile and grout. he used Polyblend Sanded Tile Grout. I have been reading on your forum that possibly that too much water was added when mixed. And too I have read on the bag that it should have been mistted for a few days after being put down. My next question is how do I mix a small amount of mix to fix the areas I have coming up now? The bag says to mix 2 quarts of water with the 25 pound bag. And you could mix up to another pint to get the right consistancy. We only need a small amount. We are going to do it ourselves. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Patsy
Patsy_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-28-2003, 05:33 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hi Patsy, Sorry to hear of your trouble.Hopefully it isnt something other than poor grout installation.I will tell you how to mix grout and apply, but i would like to first ask a few questions to determine if you both have another problem such as deflection or perhaps its just the wrong type of grout.
#1-What size is the tile
#2- What size is the grout line
#3-Does the grout appear to have sand in it or does it appear to be smooth like plaster?
#4-What type of subfloor was used?Is this installed over a cement slab,Plywood,Cement Board?
Which room and how large an area are we looking at?
Answer these so that i can determine first how things were done,what grout should have been used etc.Differant grouts mix a bit differantly.I will tell you to go ahead now and get together a couple 2 or 3 gallon pails,a couple sponges ,A small chisel and hammer and your vaacuum with hose attachment.Also a large spoon or something to mix with.A Margin trowel would be ideal and runs about 3-4.00 at your local home depot.It does a fair job of mixing pancake batter too
Welcome to the forum, we will get you through this, but lets determine why you are having trouble first,OK
Unread 08-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Patsy, Welcome.

I'm curious, too.

It sounds like the floor(s) might be moving.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Patsy,

I'd like to assist as well.

Steven
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
bbcamp

I'm in, too!

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Y'all move over.
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
OnAMission

Re: Tile Grout ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Patsy_SC

My next question is how do I mix a small amount of mix to fix the areas I have coming up now? The bag says to mix 2 quarts of water with the 25 pound bag.
C'mon guys ... please? Answer this part of the question even if Patsy doesn't get back right away? My repair is miniscule compared to hers... and I've got this 7 pound bag of Custom Polyblend sanded grout sitting here ... and I only need a mixture of a couple of tablespoons to fix a few messed up grout sections. Let's see ... a couple tablespoons of grout and how many drops of water???

Cathy
OnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

The short answer is put a handful of grout in a small plastic container. Add a few spoons of water until it reaches the consistency of peanut butter.

Spread the grout over the areas in need of repair and work it in with a rubber grout float. Wip off the excess with a damp sponge.

Jason
Unread 08-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
OnAMission

I can do that ... thanks!

Cathy
Unread 08-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #10
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

I'm surprised no one mentioned the pancake batter and the Craftsman screwdriver... Ah well, times change.

That was only a joke... you've gotten good advice and more is available anytime you want. Thanks for joining our forum!!

By the way, how did you find us?
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2003, 05:03 AM   #11
OnAMission

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Layne

By the way, how did you find us?
Isn't that 'poll' over?

I don't know about Patsy (her thread ya know ... I just got impatient waiting for part of the answer ) ... but I arrived here after a tour of the internet (prompted by new home 'blues') and ending up in that 'other' place ... and one thing led to another ... and somehow John's name was mentioned ... then Google entered the picture ... and ... and ... I stumbled in here.

Good thing, too ... this place has the other sources I ran across beat by a landslide Besides ... where else can you get that purple juice?

Cathy
Unread 09-05-2003, 07:19 PM   #12
Patsy_SC

Tile Grout?

To: tileguytodd I appreciate all the replies. Sorry it took me so long to answer back with your questions. I was waiting for some answers to come in my e-mail.
The size of our tile is 12 inch squares. The grout line is 1/4 inch. It is sanded grout(Polyblend Sanded Tile Grout) from Home Depot. My friend has cement board down, then the tile. Mine was put down on marine plywood as Home Depot said was OK. However, my friend is having more of a problem than I am, but she also has more traffic on her floors than I have. Our problem seems to be more in the walking paths than all over. I had a couple places that were not in the walking path to be replaced. When she had her's fixed , he went in between the tile after getting the old grout out and put in some screws and she's not having a problem there as yet. (Who knows what is to be in the future). Hope this will help you in solving our problem.
Thanks again,
Patsy
Unread 09-06-2003, 05:56 AM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi Patsy,

Todd will be along, but I'm gonna get my vote in now. Gotta go to work.

Usually, two things can cause the problem. The tiles are loose, the plywood underneath is moving up and down as you walk on it -- or both. You can't fix the grout until you fix the basic problem. We will need to know how the floor is built -- the size and spacing of the joists, how many layers of plywood and its thickness. We will also need to know what kind of setting mortar was used.
Unread 09-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #14
Patsy_SC

Tile Grout?

Answer to John's Questions: We both live in manufactured homes. Mine is an R-Anell Home with Weyerhaeuser Structurwood Sturd-I-Floor which is a glued floor system(???). (If you know what that means). I cannot find in my paperwork how many layers of plywood are put down. I know the top layer is marine plywood, as we saw that when we removed the carpet.
We have no info on my friends floor, but it is a Mascot Home if you are familiar with them.
Our grout space is 1/4 inch, and the tile was put down with thinset. Hope this info helps to solve our problem. Thanks.
Patsy
Unread 09-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Patsy,

The subflooring sounds good, but what about the framing? Something or other is not going to measure up. Otherwise, you wouldn't have a problem. We know there is a shortcoming someplace. From the process of elimination, it's starting to sound like the framing.

Also, what sort of foundation is under the home?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase