Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2003, 09:32 PM   #31
BeamMeUpScotty

I recommend muriatic acid to restore dirty unsealed grout. I used it on my unsealed kitchen floor grout and it produced awesome results. If you use muriatic acid, you'll need to buy a vapor mask rated for acid, rubber gloves and goggles...the stuff is nasty. But it works like nothing else and is fast. I used a small plastic brush and mopped with copius water afterwards. Great results.
BeamMeUpScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2003, 06:29 AM   #32
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
The beauty of our TYW Tile & Grout Restorer is it's user friendliness.

"It is a low pH product, so it is acidic, but it is classified as only a mild skin irritant, its even more user friendly than sulfamic acid crystals, yet has approximately 50% more cleaning punch than Phosphoric acid."
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #33
OnAMission

Mold behind wallpaper

TYW stuff is definitely more user friendly than muriatic acid ... don't think I could handle it. But I might need all the 'gear' necessary for the muriatic acid to clean up the 'mold behind the wallpaper' I found when I was examining the results of my efforts to seal the grout in the kitchen. Tile and grout looks great!

But ... now ... I have another more pressing project to deal with. Why is it that when you start one thing ... it always leads to something else. I started peeling this wallpaper off the wall when I saw the discoloration showing through from behind it. The builder thinks the mold is only on the surface of whatever they smear on the sheetrock to round those corners out and all they have to do is scrape it off and re-wallpaper.

Nope ... when I scrape down below that stuff ... guess what?There's mold underneath it as well. Looks like they plastered over water damaged sheetrock to 'salvage' it and wallpapered over it. Cool huh?

Cathy
OnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #34
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Well scotty, One thing is certain with muriatic acid.If you want your portland cement to go away.it will!!!Muriatic acid is not something we reccomend to homeowners due to its volatile nature.And its ability to completley destroy a tile job used incorrectly.I will agree it will get the job done,but its just far too dangerous for Personal safety and the safety of the installation to be reccomended to non proffessional restorers who are not equipped for or understand its nature in relation to cement products.We have other products much more user friendly that work extremely well

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase