Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #16
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Dave, that would be the ragging method of grouting and John uses the army blanket.I use old electric blankets cause they are double layer and available for a buck or 2 at almost every rummage sale you go to.they never seem to have the controls though
Unread 08-22-2003, 05:55 AM   #17
jeb

Question missing something

I also have some newly installed porcelain tile and grout to protect.

Re the grout sealer- is this just applied to the grout lines or over the entire tile also? Does this also seal the porcelain? If not, then does one apply the tile sealer over the grout sealer. Or does the tile sealer in effect also seal the grout thereby negating the use of the grout sealer?

I accidently marked one of the tiles with red permanant ink. Do I need the heavy duty cleaner or the "regular" strength?
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #18
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Hi Jeb

If you have a through bodied porcelain then it will benefit from an application of sealer (impregnator). If it’s a glazed porcelain, then sealer will not help you. There are a few different kinds of “grout” sealers and a few different “tile” sealers, but if you use a high quality impregnator, it will protect both tile and grout in one shot. So just apply it to both tile and grout, let sit for 10-15 minutes and clean & buff the excess sealer from the tiles using a white towel.

Permanent red ink is no joke. You will need to poultice it.

Poultice Materials:
Cotton Balls
Diatomaceous Earth
White Flour
Shredded White Paper Towels
(Just about anything that absorbs moisture and contains no dyes)

Poultice Chemicals: (for your particular stain)
Acetone
OR
Bleach
OR
Hydrogen Peroxide

Mix ONE of the chemicals with ONE of the poultice materials to form a paste (or saturate the cotton or towel). Place poultice concoction over stain and cover with plastic (Saran Wrap) and tape the edges down. Wait 24 hours and remove. Repeat if necessary.

"There are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas Edison
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #19
jeb

It might be a through body porcelain tile ( 12" x 12" ) because a single tile weighs about 10 ounces. The wall tile is polished and the floor tile is honed.

How do you tell a through-bodied porcelain tile from one that is not?

I guess I will use the impregnator?
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #20
OnAMission

Cleaning ...

OK ... I'll compromise here ... this time ONLY I'm cleaning tiles and grout on my hands and knees. But only because I want to see ... up close and personal ... how effectively the 3oz per gallon of the neutral cleaner works by itself on my somewhat soiled grout. After I get it sealed ... that string mop better work.

And guess what? Of the sample areas I've already done ... it's gotten about 85% of what I want done taken care of. It was hard to tell at first 'cause I got the grout so wet ... I couldn't get a clear picture until it started drying. But ... I don't think I've ever seen the true color of this grout. It's a real light sandy color ... closer to white ... but not bright ... but ... it's brighter now. And the tiles! They feel so good on my bare feet now! Almost as good as walking on that smooth wood floor.

But I'm becoming very familiar with where all the globs of grout are ... as well as some type of adhesive residue (what might THAT be?). That plastic putty knife sure comes in handy! But tell Patti that I just can NOT do this without knee pads ... good thing I picked up some at Wally World when I found that Rubbermaid ProLite Mop Bucket w/Wringer for $29.84. I DID play with that first ... and got the surface dirt off the tiles with plain water before I started in with the TYW stuff.

Now ... I guess I check it out to see how the stripper does on the other 15% of the stains on my grout.

Cathy
OnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 01:54 PM   #21
OnAMission

TYW cleaner/stripper

Bottle of TYW cleaner/stripper says to apply, dwell (is it taking up residence here?) and 'rinse.' Rinse with what? Water? More of the same solution? Neutral Cleaner? Ya gotta spell it out here, ya know ...

Cathy
Unread 08-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #22
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Good start! How about that nifty bottle the cleaner came in? And the smell!

Rinse with water. At least I think so.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 02:12 PM   #23
OnAMission

Yes ... the bottle is quite 'state of the art' and the smell is yummylicious. Just glad someone 'else' sampled it first.

And I'll get my new transluscent purple pail ready with a fresh supply of water. Can't have women using purple cleaner without a trendy bucket, can ya?

Cathy
Unread 08-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #24
OnAMission

Quote:
Originally posted by kemguru

...... Mop a couple times with the Neutral Cleaner after all the deep cleaning and before sealing. Try to keep the kiddies away from the clean areas before sealing (at least a day, sooner if you have some fans going).
I missed this from another thread. I suspect that since the grout was done months ago ... all I'm waiting for is enough of the moisture introduced during cleaning to dry.

I'm gonna go ahead and start sealing. The more time I spend on my hands and knees the more I discoloration I find.

Good news is ... the TYW neutral cleaner did an excellent job on the grout. What I see now appears to be shadows from the thinset showing through a thin layer of grout. I may decide to leave it that way. After all ... if the only person who will ever notice is me ... maybe it's not worth fussing with. (Except for the section where I dug a hole in the grout trying to chip off what I thought was something JUST on the surface of the grout instead of coming from below the grout line ... guess I gotta fix that.)

And the tile setters of the world have my utmost respect.

As annoying as the uneven tiles are ... I don't see how you guys do this all day. I drove my husband crazy when he tiled about 60 sq feet in our prior home. I could walk in the room and immediately see that a tile wasn't level. He had to go out in the garage to confirm that I was right. THIS tile though ... 'chipped' edges and an irregular surface ... I don't see how anyone keeps from going crazy before they get it set.

Just after attempting to meticulously clean grout for 300 sq feet of tile (and I have more to do) I KNOW I don't want to set tile when I grow up ... oh yeah ... I'm supposed to be there already.

Cathy
Unread 08-23-2003, 04:41 PM   #25
OnAMission

Man ... I've been sniffin too many fumes! The bottle DID say to use in a well ventilated area ... didn't it?

That should have said that my husband had to 'go out in the garage to get a LEVEL to confirm that I was right' ... instead of 'He had to go out in the garage to confirm that I was right.' That MADE NO SENSE AT ALL ... and I know it!

Not only that ... looks like I (in trying to pick up a quote) and put it in another thread, forgot to get it to where I was headed ... AND ... somehow I ended up in inserting my reply in the middle of this thread where it probably makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

And now .. this reply probably won't follow the one I mean for it to follow and will be tacked onto the end of the thread ... where ... once again it will make no sense what-so-ever. And I thought I was pretty computer literate ... but this thread thing has me baffled.

Nevermind me ... I'm just sealin grout!

Cathy
Unread 08-23-2003, 05:20 PM   #26
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Fresh air Cathy, you need fresh air.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:09 PM   #27
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Yup, cleaning and sealing the same day, or seal the next morning. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Heloise

Thomas Edison
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:43 PM   #28
OnAMission

I like your rules, Heloise ... my family would much rather I stay up all night sealing grout instead of bashing them over the head for three days every time they walk in my kitchen.

Now ... about this wiping with clean rags. Are we trying to remove all of the sealer from the tile itself ... or just any puddles? I'm limiting my application to the grout itself ... using a medicine dropper type thingy that my husband had out in the garage. Works better for me than the paint brush ... but leaves puddles in the grout.

After 10 minutes ... I blot it out of the grout with a dry rag (well ... dry as it can be after several sessions of 'blotting") ... but when I do ... of course it smears on the edges of the tile. Do I need to use a damp rag to wipe that thin layer off the tile itself?

I accidentally discovered that where the tile had sealer on it ... water now beads up on it in a way that it didn't before. Does that mean I might want to actually seal the tile, too?

Cathy
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:54 PM   #29
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Get some fresh air, then toss that cute little dropper out the window. Pour the Armor out into a little puddle, push that puddle around using a sponge or towel thats been dipped in the sealer. Spread it out all over the tile and grout, wait 10 minutes, buff any excess with a dry towel. If you are spreading well enough, you will not burn through so many towels during clean up.

300 ft., eh? Should take you less than an hour doing it this way.

Thomas Edison
Unread 08-23-2003, 07:56 PM   #30
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

oh, and about what you have to remove. You dont want any puddles or a haze. If your tile and grout looks the same as before you started sealing, your doing just fine.

Thomas Edison

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase