Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #16
Cwoods

Thanks for another vote for seat top after wall tile Davy, you have set my mind at ease that that is a good way to go.
And Wolfgang I'm liking the ledger stool idea, just don't like the idea of putting holes in what I've been working hard to achieve although I'm sure it would be fine sealing it back up after...but how much extra work could a portable ledger really be? I may do this...
I'm getting excited to start this, tomorrow I may dive in.. I've been going easy with the HydroBan and putting light coats on at a time giving it ample time to dry between. Ive been reading here to use a wet gauge and 2 coats so I hope my method is acceptable by just applying it in different directions each time in light coats with the right amount for a completed job by square footage per gallon. I've seen some YouTube videos of people just slapping it on and runs forming and I can't think that's a better way for a good uniform coverage so I'm going with my "putz" method unless yelled at for it!
Unread 07-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #17
Just In Tile LLC

Picked these up at the Coverings convention couple years ago Chris, they hold a level/straight edge to tile on as your ledger without makings holes. I’ve now seen something similar to a spreader clamp but with a more stable foot. You just pump the handle and it adjusts up.

Edit: Viking Arm Hand Tool Jack Set, Labor-Saving Arm, Saving Arm For Positioning Adjustment Of Gypsum Board Cabinets Doors And Windows And Wooden Floor Tiles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096MBKV9Z...C2YVES69P3ARS5

Quick search on Amazon turned one up. They make kinds now I guess.
Attached Images

Unread 07-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #18
Cwoods

That looks pretty damn handy! Being I won't be doing this often I'll probably fab something up but if I had access to that tool I'd be using it!
Unread 07-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #19
Cwoods

Ok, so I'm going to admit my heads swimming a little right now on how to start this. My niche height is nagging at me, I truly want the bottom of the 3 niches to run even with the top of that tile course. If it doesn't I will hone in on it every time I walk in the shower.
I'm using 12x24 (11-3/4x 23-3/4) and 1/8" grout lines. My corner seat seams to be the biggest thing fogging my mind about it. The niches are 45" from bottom to the floor surface on the 2 and 24-7/8" from the bottom to the top of the shower seat on the one without the quartz topper on (just sitting there in pic) or 23-3/4 with quartz topper on.
I'm thinking I'm just shy of being where I need to be to make it work with the quartz down 1st or small sliver cuts without?? How would you guys who tile for a living handle this situation?
Also with the corner seat would you still start one row off the floor with a ledger or start on the 1st row that clears the seat? I'm trying to get far enough ahead of myself here where I'm not surprised by a sliver measurement somewhere on the wall as it travels around the 3 sides as well as wraps around the outside walls where the tile will end. On the left of the entry outside the shower it will run all the way to the outside wall and the right will wrap the end of the walls 2 outside corners.
I think I'm going to find myself a little laser level today, clean the garage, play with the new to me tile saw checking how it cuts a d think on this a bit. Basically step back for a minute and hopefully get some more of the same eye opening feedback you guys threw at me yesterday. If I explained myself in a confusing manner I apologize and can take other pictures if that helps. Thank you so much in advance.
Now I shall go overthink....
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #20
Just In Tile LLC

Personally for me I like to focus on a niche over a seat for a aesthetic layout anyday. Layout can take me a couple hours easy on a shower because I want to see all my options before laying the first piece.

In general I like full tile at the ceiling or the largest cut possible, I also center my back wall either centered on a tile or centered with the grout joint whichever puts the largest cut on my sides. I try and layout top or bottom niche to be full tile if possible, and if I can't get any full at the niche I will try and make it even cuts around it, if that's not possible, Having a full at the ceiling and a nicely centered back wall usually trumps everything else.

Having the niche off center and no even cuts around it sounds bad, but when properly executed it really doesn't call attention to itself, especially if you do the same tile in the niche. It sort of just flows within the tile job.
Unread 07-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #21
Just In Tile LLC

Couple niches that came out uneven due to where they were or me committing to full tile at ceiling. On the marble shower you can see the skinny at the bottom where the floor is, I'd much rather have it there then at the top.
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #22
Cwoods

You have me feeling a little bit at ease on options as that looks nicely done Justin, thank you. Now in your opinion, does the larger tiles change any of that or exaggerate the fact that the niches don't exactly line up with the tile edge?
I've decided I will go into the adjacent master bedroom that's empty with new drywall and subfloor to lay some tiles out with spacers and get some good visuals on how things may line up...I'm absolutely a visual person and have to see it for it to click.
Do you have any pics of that scenario you've done around niches with the 12x24 tiles per chance?
Unread 07-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #23
Just In Tile LLC

Can’t find much locally I must have some on another hard drive. The white marble was for the window to show how far off it was from center and it’s overall fit into the tile job. The rest were taken with my phone so I don’t always have the best lightning at the end of the job.
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #24
Just In Tile LLC

The more I tile I find layout is important, but most odd situations where you're forced to go with what is there for more reasons to name still look natural and eye pleasing if they are done well and not run through quickly.
Unread 07-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #25
Cwoods

Yes it does flow in your pics e en though the layout isn't optimal with the niche. Thanks for the trouble of loading those pics. I will be going back to this thread throughout my project and they will be most helpful.
Unread 07-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #26
Just In Tile LLC

I appreciate the kind words, just showcasing the choices that one is forced to make for the greater layout overall. Took me about 2-3 years to not analyze my own shower and just use it. So good luck when it's all done.... no pressure
Unread 07-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

Chris, if you'll go to the forum home page you'll find a forum called the Alumni Photo Album. In there is a thread called Niches with nothing but photos of a few hundred ways to create and tile a shower niche. You might see something in there that sparks an idea for your situation.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 07-25-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #28
Cwoods

Thank you CX, I'm on my way!!
Unread 07-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #29
Cwoods

So obviously I'm not at this stage yet but compiling info for when I am. I searched here but cannot find the same question so here it is.
I will tile the walls around the corner seat then it last. When it comes to the face of the corner seat I seen a few online videos and all but one did straight cuts on the tiles where they meet the wall and one beveled his cuts which looked much cleaner from what I could see. I have the saw for it, should there be any reason I wouldn't bevel these cuts to clean up tat line? And again just a change in plane although not a 90 so still stand off 1/8" and sealant right?
Unread 07-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would bevel my cuts.

The tile industry standards require a movement accommodation joint in the tile surface in any place where there is a change in direction of the substrate. Matters not at all where or what size it is.

Some of us deviate from that rule sometimes, but it's what should be done.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase