Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
BennyS

How do I fix uneven tile?

My fiancee wanted to try her hand at tiling our bathroom. When she got to the top of the window I noticed that the tile on the left side of the window is approximately 1/4 of a tile higher then on the right. I am now taking over for her to correct this however I only know the basics about tiling & have no idea how to go about fixing this. I think what caused this is the fact that the bathtub, which is what the first line of tile was based on, is not fully level itself. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to fix this or how to minimize the slant over the remaining 4 or so rows of tile until the ceiling?
Attached Images

Unread 07-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Gozo

Ugh. That’s always one of those things where you say to yourself “I should have…”. Anyway, tearing it all off (which is going to mess up the Kerdi) is the “ideal” option, if we lived in an ideal world.
If you can visually minimize the difference, you might wind up with something acceptable. One thing to think about is splitting the difference with gradually wedging the shape of the tiles and taking up some of the difference by also wedging the window trim.
I had a similar thing with a floor that was sloped and the ceiling was level. I kept everything level with the ceiling and left the wedging for down at the floor where the eye wasn’t drawn. But it was a known thing and planned for; you’re past that point.
Let’s see what others come up with.
Unread 07-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Woulda, shoulda, coulda come to mind. This is where a story pole, or a good laser level, or even a standard one, or maybe a ledger board woulda made a big difference!

Hindsight is wonderful, and very annoying depending on your perspective!

I'd have to think about it, but I might try tapering the interconnecting row, but that probably won't look great. Are you planning to tile to the ceiling? If not, that might help hide things a little. The ceiling in my bathroom was not level, so I used some crown molding there to help hide it...that won't help around the window. Lessons learned. Sometimes, they get expensive, or you just live with the best you can figure out to try to minimize the impacts.

If you have the software, play with the picture by pasting in some alternative choices to see if you can tie it together into something that works for you.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Winter River
DIYer with more projects than time

Curtain rod. If you have a curtain with a couple inches of fabric above the rod pocket you'll never see the slant. If that window is above the tub you'll need to block the view anyway.
Unread 07-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Ben.

Time is of the essence if the tile has just been set within the last day. If it has, you may be able to easily remove some of the tile to help make a correction. Please tell us how many hours and which mortar was used and we will tell you if you’re still within this window.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
BennyS

My fiance has been doing it over a matter of weeks. The top few rows have been done for around 2-3 weeks so definitely not fresh.
Unread 07-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Did she tile under the window as well? Another wider picture might help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ben.

I think it's pretty shallow of you to be blaming this on your fiance'.

Have you considered putting some other tile above the window to break the pattern entirely? Like maybe some very large tiles? Or a completely different material? Call it a feature. Some of us have done a lot of features in our remodeling days.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #9
Just In Tile LLC

Sort of like a craftsman style casing up top.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase