Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
supra9497

Another marble floor shower question

So I been researching a lot on this forum. Unfortunately this is another shower floor color question. I had a new marble shower installed. Installer is a handyman that has done a ton of work for us and many friends. Never had issues. We installed a 2 inch marble hex over a presloped bed. Before any water was applied to the marble in a certain area it has some different colors in some areas. Was looking for opinions.

When the stone was installed you can see a very slight color difference. Then when you compare it to the other pictures the pattern seems to line up to me. If it’s the stone I can live with it. If it’s improper install I’d like to hear from you. I wish I had better pictures. Stone was sealed. Bottom picture is 3 weeks of showering twice to 3 Times a day. The wet color hasn’t expanded or got worse (which I hope gives me some hope) . It is also the wettest area of the shower in that back wall due to the rain fall head that hits this area as pre planned.

2 coats red guard on the walls and niche. Trying to cover any questions that might arise.

The photo with the bucket is where the tile never saw water use. Tile was sealed (unfortunately after what I have read )

1st picture install.

2nd picture after 3 weeks use multiple times a day.

3rd installed never saw water use.
Attached Images

Last edited by supra9497; 07-18-2021 at 08:50 PM.
supra9497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The moisture in the thinset can cause the tile to change color, and, once it dries, it might return to normal. But, if the stone is subject to changing color with moisture, once you start to use the shower, you may see the same thing which is one reason why it is not often recommended in a shower.

If the shower has been used, do you know if the pan liner is sloped? Tile is not the waterproof layer, the liner is, and plumbing code calls for the liner to be sloped to the drain. THe tile end up sloped because the liner is, and you put a parallel layer of mud above the liner.

In my master bath tub/shower, I installed some Kashmir white granite. I was surprised that the color changed as I was installing the tile. I decided that I actually liked the look, and applied an enhancing sealer to it after it dried out from the thinset that kept it darker, which seemed to enhance the texture and grain in it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
supra9497

Hi thanks the response. Yea it was pre sloped and then the liner was added. Then the bed and then mortar and tile floor. Since the tile changed before water use I don’t believe I can blame my installer since he seemed to do everything by the book that I have read. It’s been about 3 weeks since install and the use of the shower. If this is the nature of the stone I’m fine with it.
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

In a strange way, you’ll be slightly comforted to know that this has occurred on many showers that were properly built “by the book” by longtime tike guys and gals. When the stone absorbs moisture and darkens, there’s not much you can do short of changing to another material.

A very few chemists recommendation 6-sided sealing of the tiles with certain sealers that play nice with certain setting mortars as a solution to all this. But we don’t have much info on such as of this time. This is a subject that continues to hold my interest and hope we can be a source of info for others in the future.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You've got three choices as I see it:
1. Live with the potential color change that may continue to change as the shower is used.
2. Tear it out and use a different tile that is not subject to that color change.
3. Try an enhancing sealer that will likely approximate the wet look and help even out the color. Try it on a sample. Some of the companies will provide a small sample bottle of sealer so you can try it out.

The same 'named' tile, even from the same quarry, can vary from slab to slab, so it's a crapshoot as to how it will react to moisture.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
supra9497

Unhappy

I can live with it. Just wanted some expert opinions. Like I said I believe my installer did everything “right” from what I have read. I appreciate the info. If I stumbled upon these issues before I would have avoided marble ! As many of these threads end In the same comment.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase