Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
allday2232

Order of Events for Leveling Floor

Hi Guys,

I'm working on remodeling my laundry room which previously had carpeting in there. The subfloor is plywood over joists over a crawlspace. Room is approximately 5' wide and 15' long.

Width-wise towards the back of the room, it looks like the concrete stem walls below settled quite a bit. So over the 5', there is about a 3/4" difference. That difference starts to level out as you come to the front of the room to where its pretty much level.

Since I'm putting a washer/dryer back there, I want to try to get it a bit more level before I put tile down. I want to make sure I got my order what I do proper.

I was planning on putting down 1/4" Durock with thinset underneath and screwing down per standard recommendations. Once that was down, I was going to work on leveling the back by putting down a self-leveling underlaying. I called Mapei and they recommended their Ultraplan Easy product since it can go from a feather edge (on the level side) to up to 2" on the bad side.

Once the floor was level and proper, I would do a standard thinset and tile.

Does this sound like the right order? I dont think I want to level the floor first as then the cement board screws would crack the self-leveling.

Thanks.
allday2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, allday!

Yep, you got it in the right order.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
allday2232

Awesome. Thanks!

Now I need to just not screw it up....
Unread 06-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, AP.

First thing I would recommend is that you evaluate your joist structure and your subflooring to determine if you qualify for a ceramic tile installation without some improvement. I'd also want to determine the reason for such a dramatic out-of-level condition.

You can start on the joist structure using our Deflectometer (above in dark blue bar) for an initial go/no-go reading. Then you'll want to know the type and thickness of your subflooring and relate that to your joist spacing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #5
allday2232

Thanks guys. I think I'm ready to move forward.

Now, the next debate...I'm trying to decide between Hardi and Durock. Does their seem to be any consensus on which is better or is it still down to preference for a floor tile installation?
Unread 06-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Personal preference, AP. You'll get strong arguments for and against on both products.

Have you evaluated the joist structure?

Unread 06-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #7
allday2232

I did. Ran the numbers on the Deflecto and came up with a deflection of L / 2410 (2X10 with 6' width and 16" OC).

Back third of the room (15' long total) has a good slope width-wise almost 3/4" and as you get closer to the middle of the room its almost level (about 1/8" off).

Took a look under the crawlspace and don't see anything significant. Everything looks good so I can only assume there was some good settling in the foundation at that back part. It appears to be old settling as I took a window out on that back wall that was put in the early 90's and I see the contractor made a "wedge" shim on top of the window to account for the slope. Hasn't look like it has moved since.

I ran my 4' level across the room today in all different directions and its actually flatter than I thought. Didn't have any high ridges or rocking on the level. Knocked back down a few nails.
Unread 06-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
...(2X10 with 6' width and 16" OC).
You understand that it's the unsupported span of the joists you're looking for here, not the span of the tiled area, yes?

Unread 06-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
allday2232

Correct. The room is like a galley. Its only about 6' wide. Load bearing walls on each side that the joists are sitting on.

Tile is going wall to wall.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase