Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #76
xkse

As we finalize our tile selection, I am wondering how to know if the tile is appropriately priced and what the differences are that drives such price variations.

For instance, my original plan was to go with La Marca by Anatolia 12x24 rectified tile, Carrara. It's $4.39/sf at my local tile supplier.

However looking at Floor and Decor, they have similar options and most are $2/sf or less.

So what drives this price difference? How do I choose or justify a 2x cost for a similar (looking) tile? What is an appropriate price to target?

Thanks for advice and opinions..
Unread 05-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #77
cx
Moderator emeritus

What is more appropriate to look for, Nick, is an indication that the tile meets the standards of ANSI A137.1. If it meets those standards, you'll at least know what you're buying. If it does not, all you'll know is that what's in the box is what you bought.

Doesn't mean you can't get good tiles that are not certified to that standard, just means you've no other way of knowing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 05-24-2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Correct ANSI number
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #78
xkse

Which standard? I can’t find 377.1.
Unread 05-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #79
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sorry, Nick. That's A137.1. Old age creeps in, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #80
xkse

Hah!

Before I embark on the rest of my journey, I was wondering on what your guys (and gals) opinion is for order of operations. To recap I'm using a Freestyle linear drain, valueseal waterproofing membrane.
  • Should I frame the niche completely before I finish putting up the cement board? Obviously measuring is key to line up the grout joints; FloorElf suggest finishing the framing after the waterproofing membrane is up. What do you recommend?
  • Should I waterproof the walls and tile them (except for the first row), then build the mud bed, waterproof, tile the floor, then tile the first row?
  • Or should I do the mud bed, waterproof the whole shower, cover/protect the floor and tile (walls except for the first row, floor, then first row)?

Just trying to wrap my head around when to frame the niche, and when to make the mud bed/waterproof the floor.

Thanks as always!
Unread 05-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #81
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
1) IMO, if you really, really want the grout joints to like up it's likely best to finish the niche framing after you have a few rows of tile up.

2) Many here prefer to get the walls tiled (except the bottom course) before doing the floor, as doing so prevents any damage to the floor in the event you fumble and drop a tile or other tool In your case, given the water proofing membrane you plan to use, and the pain it'll cause if you were to puncture it, you might consider doing the walls first.

But, FWIW, I didn't. I actually did the floor first, including tile and grout. I was just very careful, and of course protected the floor with lots of cardboard.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #82
xkse

Yeah for the niche i think i'll rough the framing in, but end up cutting out the durock/waterproofing to line up the grout joints. Found Sal's video that does exactly that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9FjteG82E

Mud bed timing...we'll see!
Unread 06-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #83
xkse

For the bench and the curb I’ll be getting a piece of solid stone and I think I want to get one for the bottom shelf of the niche too so there’s no grout lines.

Is there anything specific I need to know if I want to use schluter trim for the other 3 sides of the niche?

Also, for grout alignment of the bottom of the niche, do I cut the niche out so the top of the grout line is coincident with the bottom cut for the niche? Or so the bottom of the grout line is coincident with the bottom cut of the niche?

Thanks
Unread 07-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #84
xkse

Finally making progress..

It's been a little bit, but I've made some progress. Was able to get the majority of the walls/bench waterproofed with ValueSeal. Sealed most of the seams with thinset, did one with Nobleseal 150. Still need to waterproof the corners and a few seams by the bench. Plan on tiling starting the 2nd row up so i can finalize the location of my niche. Cut that out, waterproof it, continue tiling.

Two current questions:
  • I'm using a polished porcelain tile and was going to bond it using Laticrete 4-XLT. I'll be using Spin Doctor tile leveling. Should I use gray or white thinset? Will be doing a light gray grout..I just don't know how dark the "gray" 4-XLT is. Tile: https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...100611326.html
  • To determine the height of the bottom of the niche, should it be coincident with the top of the grout line directly underneath? Hopefully that makes sense
Attached Images

Unread 07-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #85
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
1) I'd use white.
2) Yes.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #86
xkse

Thanks!

I'm going to use a solid piece of stone for the curb; on the left (wall) and right (vertical portion of bench) of the curb I'll be using a schluter profile.

It was previously mentioned that it's easier to tile the walls, then install the solid curb piece.

My question is how to run the schluter profile on both sides. If i run the the tile then the solid piece, the schluter profile will have to go down past the curb.

If i install the curb piece first, then the profile would just run to the top of the curb.

What do ya'll suggest? One of Sal's videos he mentions he always installs the solid curb/bench pieces first, then the tile. I'm just having trouble picturing the simplest way to do it.
Unread 07-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #87
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like the bullnose or Schluter edge to come down even with the outside edge of the curb. But, there are no rules. Some installers like for the Schluter edge to be outside the curb edge a few inches.

I mud my curb with the correct pitch, etc. and go ahead and tile the inside and outside of the curb. But again, there are no rules, do it either way you want. Sometimes the slab fabricator on the job will install the curb so that's one reason I tile everything first. Then they come in afterwards and do their job. Plus, I like knowing that if for some reason the curb has to be replaced, I don't have to worry about any wall tiles being damaged replacing it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #88
xkse

Ok, so the curb would basically butt up against the installed wall tile / schluter edge. I get that there are no rules, and since I’m doing it myself want to make sure I have a solid plan since I still need to order the solid curb/bench.

Do you happen to have any pictures ?
Unread 07-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #89
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you want the slab to overhang the inside and outside of the curb you might rather L out the slab to go around the profile to the sheetrock. Hope that makes sense.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #90
xkse

Thanks, I think what you're referencing is the first and second pictures below. Tile on the wall down to the waterproofing on the curb, solid curb cut with an L around it?

Third picture shows another option, curb all the way to the wall, and the tile scribed to the curb above it. Slightly angled cut perhaps on the tile for the slope of the curb.

Any other option i'm not thinking of? Need to consult the wife..
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase