Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just let us know what you'd like the thread name changed to, Nick, we'll take care of it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #47
xkse

Nick’s Linear Drain Shower Build works ! Will update with pictures or if I have any questions.
Unread 05-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #48
xkse

Bench and Curb Stone Thickness

Hi

I’m at the point where the shower is framed and the other side of my bathroom is done, so I’ll be working on the shower moving forward. Linear drain is installed, next step will be thin bed and cement board.

Few questions:

I’m going to get a couple pieces of solid stone (marble, granite, etc) for the bench and the curb. What are the normal thicknesses and overhang (if any)?

I was going to do a 1.5” thick bench seat, no overhang down to the tile but an overhang off the side.

Thinking 0.75” thickness on the curb (2.5” width, plus cement board plus tile will be around 4” wide. Any overhang on this and on which (or both) sides?

To size these pieces of stone, do I do that after the cement board is in but before the tile?

Thanks!
Unread 05-11-2021, 01:13 AM   #49
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Linear drain is installed, next step will be thin bed and cement board.
A bit confusing, Nick. Thin bed what?

1. Dealer's choice.

2. Dealer's choice.

3. I would "size" them when I was far enough along to be sure of my sizing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 05:33 AM   #50
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can do it any way you want but I normally get all the tiles up and then have the slab pieces installed afterward. I think hanging over 3/4 inch is fine for the seat and curb.

You mentioned a slab piece on the curb. Hopefully you won't have cement board on it too.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #51
xkse

Cx

I have a Noble linear drain. They call it a “thin bed” in their documentation, so that’s the terminology I used. Build the sloped mud bed to the drain and then sheet membrane waterproofing over top of the single mud bed.

Davy

I didn’t want grout lines on my curb, so was going to use the same piece of remnant I get for the bench for the curb. If I have my wood curb, I need a piece of cement board on top to put the waterproofing sheet membrane on. Then was going to attach the curb piece to that. What did you mean that you hoped I didn’t have cement board on the curb?

Thx
Unread 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think Davy was presuming you were building a traditional shower receptor, Nick, in which case there would be no correct way to use CBU on the curb.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 05-11-2021, 06:46 PM   #53
xkse

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure I didn’t totally misinterpret something (which is totally possible..)!

Plan would be cbu over the curb, sheet membrane , 3/4” thick stone, 3/4” overlap of the curb on each side.

Curb and bench go down first, then tile correct?
Unread 05-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #54
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Curb and bench go down first, then tile correct?
Don't understand the question.

Unread 05-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #55
xkse

Sorry, was on mobile.

In terms of order of assembly, where the horizontal portion of the bench meets the vertical wall: should I install the bench top, and then run the tile down to that?

Similar for the curb: should I install the marble curb and then run the tile where it meets the other portions of the shower down to that?

This would mean I can size my granite curb and bench seat prior to installing tile.
Unread 05-12-2021, 08:04 AM   #56
ss3964spd

IMO, I think 3/4" overhang for the curb might a little much, especially on the shower side. It'll be difficult to clean it. Indeed, since the overhang will be so close to the shower floor, it'll be difficult to even see it to clean it.

I prefer the look of the wall tile hanging over the floor tile, so the same would go for the bench and curb. But, if you set the bench piece before the wall tile you'll have to measure your wall tile cuts very carefully so they match the slope of the bench. Depending on your wall tile size and the wet saw you have cutting them might be easy, or not so much.

FWIW, I didn't want to try, so I set my bench tops after the wall tile.
Unread 05-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #57
xkse

Thanks for the thoughts on the overhang - good points. I may go with something smaller, maybe 1/2 or 1/4".

In terms of the tile coming down onto the bench piece; are you saying that because the bench is sloped towards the shower, that the bottom of the tiles that abut the bench will need match that slope? Wouldn't it get covered up with caulk or grout?

Or am I missing the larger point you're describing here?
Unread 05-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #58
ss3964spd

Because the bench top is sloped your wall tiles will have to be cut to match that slope. IOW, you can't simply cut the wall tile straight because the gap between the two will get wider. You'd end up with a narrow joint at the back and much wider at the front. Ideally you want to the joint to be the same width back to front.

Certainly not impossible to make those cuts, just more challenging. If you install the wall tile first those tile cuts don't have to be pretty, or even terribly accurate, since they'll be hidden by the top. And if the top is cut correctly then the joints will be consistent.
Unread 05-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #59
xkse

Ah yeah that makes sense. For some reason i was thinking of the back of the bench, not the tile that will follow it down the slope towards the shower.

For my first shower build and judging from your comments I will run the tile first =)
Unread 05-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #60
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, Innovis (the makers of BetterBench) do offer an installation method where their bench is added AFTER the wall tile is already installed. Then, you're relying entirely on the shear strength of the fasteners, but it does work if you do it right. It's probably stronger if it goes on the surface then you tile around it. Guess you have to ask yourself, how much do you need?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase