Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #46
cbaum

Decided against 24x24 tile. Couldn't find a way to make it look good and too much waste. Going to do 12x24 tiled vertically. Very little waste and a nice layout.
Unread 11-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #47
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The vertical orientation of those 12X24's will look great, very modern.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #48
cbaum

Would it be unwise to use 12x24 large format tiles for my shower pan? I've attached a picture.

The 12x24 matte finish porcelain tile I am using has a DCOF that is greater than or equal to .42. I'm a little unclear as to what the DCOF should ideally be for a shower floor.
Attached Images

Last edited by cbaum; 11-10-2020 at 09:54 AM.
cbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #49
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
I'm a little unclear as to what the DCOF should ideally be for a shower floor.
So is the ceramic tile industry, Charlie.

The DCOF for a tile surface is footnoted in ANSI A137.1, noting that the test and parameters are: "For level interior spaces expected to be walked upon when wet" and refers the reader to the long section on COF, which contains in part a description of wet DCOF testing and says: "The presence on installed tiles of water.......oil, grease, and/or other elements which reduce traction, creates slippery conditions where the risk of a slip cannot be completely eliminated. Tile installations with exposure to such elements require extra caution in product selection, use, and maintenance."

There is no DCOF requirement or specification for a shower floor. That's expected to be slippery because of standing water during use as well as the presence of traction reducing products being intentionally mixed with the water. Shower floors are slippery when wet. Period. The section on DCOF goes on to say that "The risk of a slip can be diminished but not eliminated in these installations by installing tiles with a structured/textured surface, mosaic tiles, or certain extruded unglazed quarry tiles."

You wanna use those large format tiles in your shower, that's entirely up to you. Getting to be more popular with linear drain installations these days. I still don't think I want such a floor in my shower, but the choice is yours. I've never even seen the Tile Ranger comment on such use on accounta it's not unlawful.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 11-10-2020 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #50
cbaum

Thanks for the info! My tile place has the same tile in stock in 2x2 mosiac but I've just never loved mesh backed tile. I have a kitchen backsplash that I did with that and I can always tell where one sheet ends and one begins. Nobody else really can, but it drives me nuts.

So I've decided to go to Home Depot, buy some cheap 12x24 tile and do those large format cuts and see how it looks in person. I might even thinset them to a slab of OSB in the garage and see how it is. I'll be out all of $40-$50 tops but a worth investment I think to see if its doable. Might even throw my socks off and wet the surface and see if I fall and bust my behind.
Unread 11-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #51
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You won't bust it when you're trying to.

My shower floor is tiled with a basket weave mosaic pattern with a matte finish on mesh. The main floor tiles are 12X24's with the same matte finish. Although I didn't fall, I did slip once when coming out of the shower with very slightly damp feet.

Although the pattern helps in my case if you are very careful when setting the sheets you really can't tell where they are.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Might even throw my socks off and wet the surface and see if I fall and bust my behind.
Don't forget to add a little soap and/or shampoo to the mix, Charlie.

Unread 11-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #53
cbaum

So I did my mock up today. I just grabbed a 2x4 OSB sheet, the cheapest 12x24 porcelain HD offers, and some cheap premixed thinset. This was mostly to practice on my new wet tile saw and to see if I can make the cuts I want to make. The blade that came with the saw is garbage and caused some blowout as well as jacked up some of my points but with a good blade (p4 or hot dog) I think I’ll be in good shape. Waiting for the thinset to dry before standing on it, although there’s no slope. It’s matte like mine will be and seems to have some decent grip.

And yes, I did that on my chest freezer.
Attached Images

Unread 11-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #54
cx
Moderator emeritus

You understand that you'll need to make your shower floor exactly that shape for your plan to work, yes? And flat! Each one of those segments will need to be very, very flat with a well defined crease between them. Not as simple as it might sound.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 11-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #55
cbaum

It’ll be close to that shape. 35x52 or so. Maybe 35x54. Will decide when it gets torn up. Some designs I’ve seen are done with square pans and some with rectangle pans. The nice thing is I can cut the tile and dry fit and if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. I can always fall back to mosaic before I thinset it.

Here’s a couple I found to keep in my back pocket.
Attached Images

Unread 11-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #56
cbaum

*EDIT nm I found another thread answering my question.

Last edited by cbaum; 11-16-2020 at 03:40 PM.
cbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #57
cbaum

This is more of a construction question....

So my master bath that I am doing a remodel on in a month or so has 3/4" OSB subfloor and then 7/8" of concrete/mortar substrate and then tile. The bathroom is 11.5 x 8.5 and there's a 2x3 closet in one corner. House was built in 2002.

Is it likely/possible that the 7/8" concrete/mortar was put down before the closet was framed? Or is it more likely that the framing was complete and THEN the concrete/mortar was put down around the closet framing? I'm just wondering if I should expect to have to rip out the closet framing to pull up all that concrete substrate.
Unread 11-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #58
cx
Moderator emeritus

Very unlikely the deck mud (I'm guessing) was placed before the framing was completed. The finished flooring was the same in both areas?

Unread 11-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #59
cbaum

Yeah same 4" white tile in throughout the bathroom and the bathroom closet floor.
Unread 11-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #60
cbaum

So I've acquired all my tile, thinset, kerdi stuff, almost everything. I'm down to a couple outstanding items to grab.

One I'm not sure about, and it's not related to tiling is the light that is in my shower stall. Is there a special rating for it being in a shower? I searched Lowes and HD for "shower lights" and seem to get like 500 recessed light options.

What special do I need to be aware of for the light in the shower stall? This is not a steam shower. Thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase