Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
jimling

Sub Floor Thickness

Hi All,

I have been reading some thread's on this great forum and would appreciate some advice.

I am tiling a kitchen (8x10) and after reading "the internet...." I am unsure how much plywood to add to ensure proper thickness of sub floor. The existing 5/8" is in good shape and my plan was to add 1/2" and then the tile directly onto that. Is my plan sound?

Thanks for the help.

Jim
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Assuming your joists are strong enough for the tile in question, there is an approved method of installing tile directly on two layers of plywood, but most people much prefer using a different method!

Technically, if the 5/8" ply is T&G, it meets the minimum industry spec for tile with a decoupling layer as it stands, but that means it is new, and in perfect shape which rarely happens so more ply is better.

The minimum additional ply you'd want to add would be 3/8", C-faces or better, exposure 1 or exterior rated glue, properly oriented and anchored. More is fine.

To tile directly on ply requires a quite expensive, highly modified thinset. Most people use cbu and then install the tile to it. An alternative, should you wish to keep the height down, is a membrane. One I've used and like is Ditra from www.schluter.com. Technically, that could be installed directly over the ply you have now - if it is in perfect shape.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase