Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

Dewalt 2400 and Ridged compared

I just received a new saw this week, I broke down and purchased a 2400 Dewalt, I have been using a Ridgid 10 " for a few years and have been extremely happy compared to the 101 MK.
First, I know this topic is beat into the ground but I'm hear to give my thoughts. I cannot at this time give a cut and power evaluation due to I have not used it in production yet.
Lets start with the stand, the Ridgid is very heavy duty but I think it may be an over kill, maybe 25 lbs difference. The Dewalt I think will do just fine for the purpose.
The power supply systems on both seem to be a decent protective system so I will call this one equal. On my Ridged I did at one time need to replace the end but I hear thats true with any system over the years of abuse.

The water tray: On the Ridgid it is a fixed but removable part of the saw it does not require a separate trip to the truck but the system they have for the pump lines are a pain the ass when removing the tray for cleaning. The Dewalt tray system I cannot rave on yet but I must say I am very leery of what I see. I only set the saw up once so far but I notice the tray may take a beaten very easily, I am not sure how this will hold up. The seperate side tray attachments to me is a bit ridiculous, the separate back tray is bad enough let alone a third tray. Does any one else use there saw without both attachment trays?
The table slide tray: The ridged to was gift from god compared to the MK, the Dewalt should do just fine also.
The two main reasons for changing over from my Ridgid is first the shaft bearing was showing a bit of play and did require quite a bit steering while cutting the tiles, I feel that should be the way to cut anyway but this was getting a bit to loose. Then one of the roller tray bearings went and I did not feel like investing time and money in a saw that did it's job and paid for itself plenty.
I am yet to use a HusQ, maybe it will be the next saw if I am still doing tile, and I'm sure buy then they will have another brand name label.
If there is any thing to watch for please let me know.
Oh one thing I will be changing soon is the Dewalt blade change screw. I will be trying to set up a stainless wing in it's place.

Last edited by scott anthony; 11-06-2010 at 11:51 AM.
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Cain
Cain

the only problem I have with the tray is that before I break down the saw I usally have to scoop out and clean before I can carry it away.it is so big but shallow that you can't carry it without making a mess.
I use the back one to catch spray which it does very well. and the side one if 12x12 or larger to catch runoff. those 2 peices are what keeps your water from making a mess and that in my humble opinion is the best feature of the saw.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase