Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
carawood

Hi,
We have ceramic tile in our tub/shower ... I am new to this homeowner thing, so bear with me...

I noticed some white stuff on the tile in this one spot and picked at it ... it turned out to be caulk (or something of the same consistency) that the former homeowners used to fill in the space between the tiles where the grout must have crumbled. Well, stupid me pulled on it too hard when I was trying to figure out what it was ... and now there is a few-inch spot on the one wall under the shower head that is grout-less. I know water must not get in there (hopefully it hasn't yet), so I need a way to fix this quick.

Calk or something stretchy like that seems odd to me ... do people really use this to seal up their tiles? I noticed it again in other spots, too, especially where the tub meets the tile.

Is there anything I can do as a quick fix? I know for the long run I should probably have it re-grouted completely. Is that expensive to have it done? Can I regrout certain spots or do you have to do the whole thing?

One more thing ... how can I see if water has gotten back there? I have no idea what's behind the tile. If it helps, my house is about 26 years old and I think it is the original tile.

Thanks!
carawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-23-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Cara, Welcome.

You can use white wall tile grout. They sell small boxes at Home Depot 10 lbs, I think. Mix it to a paste and force it into the joints. Wipe the tiles clean with a sponge.

There is usually a reason for grout to fall out of the wall. Something is moving. It's very possible you have a "sheetrock shower," meaning there's nothing behind the tiles but drywall.

Remove the trim plate from the faucet and probe right behind the tile with a Craftsman screwdriver. See if it's cement or sheetrock.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 03:46 PM   #3
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

More caulk would also be a quick fix.

In the near future you may want to consider regrouting this thing yourself. It's a labor intensive job but at the same time easy to do.

You can buy grout removal tools at your home center that will scrape away the existing grout. Then get new grout and a grout spreading tool (float) to reapply.

Mix it according to the instructions, smear it into the cracks, wait a few minutes, then wipe it clean with a damp sponge.

Come the time, we'll be happy to take you through it one step at a time.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 07:57 PM   #4
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hey John,

What's with the "craftsman" ???

Jason
Jason_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Ask Sonnie about the Craftsman screwdriver. He started it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase