Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
prancer

Ledge stone installation questions

Have a few questions on a ledgestone install. I've searched the forum for answers , but have come up with more questions instead of getting answers.
The pictures below are the product and the area I want to install. The wall is 90" high 12' wide and the fireplace face wall is 90" x 102" wide. My walls are 5/8" Sheetrock that has been glued and screwed when installed. The primer on the wall is kilz and has been painted for about a year now.

1- Can i install directly to the drywall if I rough it up with 60 grit paper?
2- do I follow the floor when I place my first row or should I make it level. The floor is about 3/8" lower on one end.
3- do mitered corners look better than the chiseled pre-made corners.
Attached Images

Unread 09-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
PetrH

I'm sure the mods will move this to the regular forum for you.

1: yes, you can install directly on drywall with a decent modified thinset, I'd go with white to make install easier.
2: Yes, make your first row level. Also measure how things will work out top and bottom of fire place and at the ceiling. Adjust your bottom row to make everything work out nice.
3: pre fab corners look better and will also save you a tonne of time, but mitered corners are possible. When mitered corners are desired, I charge an extra 4 hours on a job like this to cut them. I'd say it will take you even longer than that to do.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase