Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
miamicuse

Cutting a round hole in rectified porcelain tiles

I am laying new 24X24 rectified wall tiles in the bathrooms.

I have a diamond hole saw 60mm diameter that I will be using to make a cut to accommodate a drain pipe stub out.

One complication is where I need the hole to be cut, it sits almost in the middle of two tiles. In other words, the "hole" would be half a circle from one tile, and another half a circle on the other tile.

So question #1, how would this hole be cut. Would you cut each tile separately? Or have the two tile lay down side by side, may be secure them with a few clamps, and drill the hole across the two tiles at the same time?

Furthermore, the diamond hole saw I have does not have a center pilot bit. I think to make a nice hole I need some kind of a drill guide. No problem, I will just cut a hole the same size in a piece of scrap wood, lay the wood over the tile, clamp the piece of wood onto the tiles, and let the hole in the wood guide the hole saw, right? Only now I realize, the wood cutting hole saws I have are all in inches. 3/4", 1", 1.25"...I can cut a 2.25" that would be too small, or a 2.5" that would be too big for a 60mm. Does it mean I need to find a 60mm wood cutting hole saw, or I need to buy a 2.25" diamond hole saw? Or is there another trick I can use to allow me to use the 60mm diamond hole saw to cut the hole across the two tiles?
Unread 08-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Side grinder with diamond blade, you are WAY over thinking it
Unread 08-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
PetrH

you can use your diamond hole saw to cut a hole in a scrap piece of tile and then use that for a guide. The trick is to start drilling with the drill tilted on a 45 degree angle and very gradually tilt the drill up. don't forget to keep things wet, or you will burn out your bit. I would cut this with a grinder or on my wet saw it's a 5 minute job at best..
Unread 08-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Gozo

If you do use the hole saw, remember to leave space for the grout width, otherwise it would be stretched out when installed. I would at most use the hole saw to scribe the outline of the circle and slice out wedges using the wet saw. A nibbler or stone could take any roughness out.
Unread 08-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For the cost of that hole saw, you probably could have had your local countertop fabricator cut you a perfect hole.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If it's split between two tiles then you've hit the jackpot. You can cut it with a grinder or even your tile saw. Drilling through rectified is a pain and also a good way to lose life on a drill bit.

Also, you don't want the pilot bit anyway because all it does is prevent you from drilling through the tile.

-------

edit: I noticed that you have another thread going on a similar subject. I won't combine them because I looks like it would interweave the posts and make things confusing.

But in the future we'd prefer if you ask all your questions right here in this thread.

Carry on!

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 08-27-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looks like at least four threads on this bathroom project, Jim. Think we aughta get them all together here.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

i feel like i have won lotto when there is a hole between 2 tiles
Unread 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
miamicuse

Quote:
Looks like at least four threads on this bathroom project, Jim. Think we aughta get them all together here.
CX, actually, each thread I started are different for a different project. One is a bathroom @ property A, another is a bathroom @ property B, yet another one is the kitchen floor in property A, and another one on the living room floor for property C. All distinct questions in different situations. All small repair projects.
Unread 08-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Understand.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase