Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
joea

Marble cutting and "polishing"

I found some marble of various sizes in old barn.

Pondering cutting these to sizes I could use as thresholds, making bevels or bull nose, and ending up with surfaces that would not look obviously done by a fool and his tools.

Where should I start? Or might it be wiser just to chat with some local yards and custom counter top guys?
Unread 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Joe, I'd start by calling my countertop guy

By the time you buy tooling you'll have spent more than you saved not buying the marble.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
PetrH

Marble is actually really easy to polish, as long as you are going for the honed look. It's totally doable with a belt sander and a few grits of automotive type wet sand paper. Granite is a whole different story, you need diamond polishing pads for your grinder (or hand held ones). I make all my own corner shelves and niche sills from scraps that the counter top guys toss. Takes me about an hour/ piece to make. Most of then are quartz or ceasarstone.
Unread 08-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
PetrH

Also don't waste any time pre-making anything. When the occasion comes up, tell the customer: I have a nice piece of matching marble we could use for that. Then cut and polish to suit.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase