Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Great White Portable Tile Saw

Had a few 3 x 6 subway tile jobs coming up and needed a small portable saw. My distributor had one of these Great White Saws in stock so I thought I would give it try. Have to say it was one of the worst purchases I have ever made. I needed to take an 1/8" off the 6" length of tile.(about 60 repetitive cuts) Guess what. The saw's fence couldn't handle it. Only goes out to 5" I believe. Its a saw designed for a 4 x 4 max. Blade was garbage no matter how many times I sharpened it. Going to return it ASAP. Wish DeWalt would come out with a mini version of its 10" saw.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Lou_MA

Quote:
Have to say it was one of the worst purchases I have ever made
I felt the same after I bought the Briccolina. Tried using it on glass 3x6 as well as ceramic subway. Never met my expectations for cut quality, ease of use, etc. Been sitting in my shop ever since.
Unread 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilemanct
Wish DeWalt would come out with a mini version of its 10" saw.
I get questionnaires from DeWalt from time to time about different products. In this past year, one of the tools that they have been asking questions about is a tile saw.

It sounds like it's going to be a small 7 inch saw. It may even be battery powered and compatible with their 20v cordless system. But is it going to be a cheapie table saw style? An overhead with a push tray? I don't know. But I think there's something coming in the pipeline.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
houndzilla

This is disappointing to hear, about the great white and briccolina, I had planned on picking one up for my project. Are there any good small tile saws out there that can be used for rip cuts on LFT tile?
Unread 09-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
koihito
A person, like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
It may even be battery powered and compatible with their 20v cordless system
I could see it being viable with their 60v tool line, I can't see 20v having enough umph. A cordless version would be awesome.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nate, I'm a Makita guy, but in the 18v line they have a version of nearly everything............except a wet saw other than their little hand-held, of course. Some of the heavier duty tools are now designed for use with two batteries. I've not had occasion to try any of those, but just judging from all their tools I own or have tested, I can certainly see an 18v small size wet saw being quite feasible. Won't have the run time for production work, but if you have ten or more batteries in your arsenal, like some folks we know, I can see it handling a whole lot of work.

I don't see why DeWalt can't do the same, but I've not used their cordless tools for years. Since the LiIon batteries came online and they finally changed over.

I'll check to see if Makita has any inclination toward a wet saw, either corded or cordless.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #7
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I think all the tile saw companies have been concentrating on saws to handle large format tile they forgot about small format tile. I have so many 3 x 6 white subway tile jobs on 2nd floor baths in the pipeline, I cringe to think about setting up my big Dewalt in a wet tent where space is at a premium. I refuse to go back into the dumpster and retrieve my old small MK with the screamer motor on it!!! They had the right idea, wrong motor.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by koihito
I could see it being viable with their 60v tool line, I can't see 20v having enough umph. A cordless version would be awesome.
This is what I mean. I don't know what they are calling it anymore. Flexvolt I think? But the same system that the weed wackers and blowers use.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Unread 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I refuse to go back into the dumpster and retrieve my old small MK with the screamer motor on it!!! They had the right idea, wrong motor.
My problem with the little MK screamers isn't the loud motor (there's hearing protection for that), it's the crappy bushing rail system that is pert near impossible to keep smoothly moving. I've tried every lubricant on the planet.

I just ordered a DeWalt (first ever), on sale at CD. Two extra blades and a free mixing drill. $779.00

Unread 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

My Makita rep says he knows of no plan for Makita to get into the wet saw bidness, corded or cordless.

Unread 09-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
koihito
A person, like you.

If you get a chance to try DeWalt's 60v line it is impressive. Full plug in power and the 60v batteries are compatible with the 20v line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I can certainly see an 18v small size wet saw being quite feasible.
OK, with two batteries and reasonable expectations I'll agree. I'd like to see full size DeWalt wetsaw running 2 60v batteries like their tablesaw.

Actually, I'd like to see DeWalt make a battery powered ripoff of IQ's new 10" dust-free dry-cut tilesaw

Unread 09-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
koihito
A person, like you.

Oh, and back to the origianal post: I have a Great White, and while I agree the fence could be much better I like it. I use it mostly for 3x6 subway which is still popular in these parts. With a small cutting board and the Great White I can set a tub surround or backsplash with no mess and no trips out to cut. I have a saw shack I'll set up if a can but it's not always feasible and sometimes not worth it for a small job.

I set this entire shower using only the Great White and a hole saw; third story and no where to set up other than in the bathroom. Was it ideal? Not by a long shot, but it was WAY better than going up and down the stairs!
Attached Images

Unread 10-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I agree there needs to be a high quality small tile saw on the market.
For ceramic subway a Rubi TS-40, a cordless Makita grinder, and some nippers work great.
The Dewalt saw is great, but they need to come out with a HD version for large format tile.
We have two Dewalts but bought a Lackmond 10" Beast. Lots of good features but the poor water management makes me wish Dewalt would come out with an improved version for larger tile. The Lackmond is limited on where it can be used so the crew prefers the DeWalts for most jobs.

I have a Briccolina too. Usefull on occasion but still waiting for a mini table tile saw I want to use.

And CX- I wish Makita would enter the tile saw market.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

With something north of 3,000 tools in their arsenal, you'd think they'd stumble into that market, Isaac, but apparently they recognize all the problems there or maybe they just never thought of it. I dunno.

Seems they have some clear thinkers in their R&D department and could likely do OK in that field. At least in the small-saw portion of the field where good products seem to be lacking.

I'm glad I still have a Felker TM-75 out back just in case I hafta go do some repairs some day.

Unread 10-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

It seems like a tough road for Makita in my view. They are the last independent tool maker amongst giant conglomerates. I don't blame them for staying with what they know and what they can compete in.

The local tile store had some of their new 18v tools on display today. They seem well made and heavy duty. I know the newer Dewalt 20v doesn't feel like they're made as well as the were 5 years ago.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase