Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Kirk, I'm glad you're stopping the work. They could have stood back and put a few rounds of buck shot in it and done less damage. It's incredible what we 're seeing these days. I wasn't kidding back in post 5.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
Kirk55

speed - in answer to your questions>> have them rip it all out before they leave. did it pass inspection with the durock screws so low to the pan? were there screws in the threshold when it was inspected?

It passed inspection with Oatey liner only -- no screws anywhere. threshold just had liner over it. right after passing (well they failed first, corrected, then passed), he covered with durock and went screw crazy. bad part is i purchased a vanity through them. fully paid for and sitting at their showroom so i'm sure they will hold that hostage.
Unread 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kirk, if you'll visit our FAQ you'll find a brief tutorial on how to post and properly attribute quotes here on the forums. Very simple once you see it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Nolip

How was he going to waterproof the shower? Was he?
Unread 09-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #20
PetrH

yup totally messed up. The bottom of the cement board is held in place by the mud pan and there should be no screws at all in the bottom 6 inches, let alone the inside of the curb. Phone your inspector if you have any doubts and fire these guys right away. With this kind of prep, things will only get worse.
Unread 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Kirk55

Angry update

I stopped work and fired the company. I had an estimate yesterday from new company and more defects were pointed out to me including that they used drywall screws in the Durock, put Durock under the preslope (i learned this is not structural), and they used regular drywall mud on the Durock inside the shower. They also left a strip of regular drywall inside the shower (should have cut out and put in Durock). The Durock is horribly bowed which I didn't notice until a long level was placed on wall. They knocked the bedroom door frame out of alignment by pounded a stud on the opposite of the wall into place (hitting the inner part of frame), instead of ripping a bit off to make it fit into the space. And, when the guy was cutting the subfloor, he actually made a very deep cut in the large structural support which is now going to have to be reinforced. Starting over.
Unread 09-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Glad you found a new installer. The curb catches a lot of water during every shower and is where most leaks start. Did he say how he's going to prep it for tile?

In the dark blue bar above you'll see the "liberry". Click on it and scroll down to "shower construction info". It shows the proper way to prep the curb without poking holes in the liner.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase