Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
triplmmm

Cold temp mortar/grout

I need to replace some baseboard tiles in a zero degree freezer. Any ideas? I'm thinking construction adhesive. It's aluminum walls. I can't find anything down to that temp. It's a restaurant so no shutting down the freezer. Also any ideas for grouting.

Thanks.
Matt
Unread 05-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Hey Matt

Tough one ...
Possibly an epoxy as the chemical reaction can generate its own heat to facilitate a cute ... I'm sure aerospace adhesives exist for such an environment but it's a tall order for anything readily available.
Not sure even calci-alum or rapid set mortars can correctly cure at that low temp ... Certainly they exist ... But dunno of one off the top of my head 🙈
I have one mortar in mind ... But I'm gonna do some reading before I say it

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

The aluminum walls makes this even tougher ..
I'm thinking something elastomeric... Like noble151 or KerdiFix but no Idea what the temp ranges on those products are.
Grout ? Holy cow ! How do you grout that ?

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
JimKiefer

I did that for a local ruby Tuesday last year. Tough job. I told them not to bother calling me back. Anyway, I used a caulk tube two part epoxy I found at Lowe's in the masonry area. It seamed to adhere well. Like was said. The grout is what is difficult. I used power grout but it was freezing before I could get it cleaned up. Used a bucket of warm water for cleanup. Whoever came up with the idea to put tile in a freezer should be taken to the woodshed. BTW if the aluminum has rusted through (interaction with masonry and large volume of water tend to eat through the thin walls of those units) and they want you to stick the tile back up to the foam insulation just laugh and walk away. That was the straw for me. DONE! Out of there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JimKiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It eats me up when companies want us to work in situations like that and then stand behind our work once it's done. Just like the steam room that a country club wanted me to repair. The country club was closed only on Mondays and that's when they wanted the repair done. I went in there on a Monday and it was still near 100 degrees in there. I told them the steam room would have to be shut down for a week. Oh no, can't do that. Oh well, then I can't do the repair. So long.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase