Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #91
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Ray- I'm no expert but your site looks good to me.

Ok I'm ready for some constructive criticism of my site. I know I need to make some updates and improvements. Let me know what you think.

And google maui tile contractor for me and tell me where I come up. When I google myself I come up at the top. But I think the results are slanted to my site because I am the closest tile contractor to my home address.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #92
Arizona Floors
ReTile

Isaac,

You came up at the top over here in Phoenix.

Nice!

I google chandler tile contractor (for me) and get pretty good results but the description is all mumbo jumbo. I changed that yesterday but I don't know when google will pick up on it. I wouldn't click on it if I was a customer

I hope my changes don't reflect badly on the ranking though.

I like the site. Something I notice is you could have named the file names closer to what they are. Something like "travertine-installation-maui.jpg" because google sees those as keywords, from my understanding. You can add some keywords on the "alt" tag as well.

Your site is obviously doing well. You also rank well for many other keywords 2-3 place.

I don't know that my suggestion will help much, maybe take your rank from 2nd to 1st, maybe not. Maybe John will weigh in on that one. I'm no expert either!
Arizona Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #93
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Ray, there are a couple of easy things: title and description.

I would spell out Massachusetts and New Hampshire in the title tag -- first the company name then the location then the rest.

Your description has a lot of wasted words:

<meta name="description" content="Installation of Tile Hardwood Laminate Carpet Vct and Rubber. We offer superior service along with the lowest prices. Proudly servicing Massachusetts and Southern NH"/>

Here again, I would spell out New Hampshire.

There are other things, but this will get you going.

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #94
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Looks good Isaac. I would do a little work on title and description to eliminate duplicate and wasted words.

<title>Higher Standard Tile and Stone, Maui Tile and Stone
Contractor for Crack-Free Projects</title>

You have tile and stone in the title twice. Wasted space.

Also, you repeat the name of your company in your description. More wasted space. As in any good writing, fewer words often convey more.

These tags are precious, the title tag especially. Get as many rich keywords in as possible in this very limited space.
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #95
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Jesse,

<title>Boswell Flooring Tile Installation Chandler AZ - Tile Contractor - Tile Setter</title>
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Boswell Flooring, tile installation in Chandler AZ. All of our tile installations are performed by qualified and professional tile setters. We are licensed bonded and insured for both Residential and Commercial.">
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #96
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

I simplified my title line and haven't beeen able to figure out how to edit the meta tag. My site is nowhere to be found unless you search the url.

I was able to find the option to edit the meta info at the bottom of the single page edit. Tried adding some info and saved it. Switched tabs and refreshed the page source and the meta tag didn't change to what I had put in. So, went back and un did everything.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #97
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Quote:
I was able to find the option to edit the meta info at the bottom of the single page edit. Tried adding some info and saved it. Switched tabs and refreshed the page source and the meta tag didn't change to what I had put in. So, went back and un did everything.
Sometime it takes Google a while to index changes to a site. It can take hours or days depending how you rank and how frequently the information on your site changes.

You can speed this up by submitting a sitemap file to Google Webmaster (which I recommend everybody gets acquainted with). Patience is important in SEO because it will take time for changes to be indexed and actually show up.

I am wondering if we should start a page that lists contractors by state on our site in order to get some reciprocal links going.

Thoughts?

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #98
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

I was only referring to the page source on my own homepage...not google. When I changed the title line the change was instant. I just did something wrong while trying to edit the meta lol.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #99
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I see now. i took a look at your source code and it looks like you're using an SEO plugin. Is your site set up on Wordpress or a similar platform?

I highly recommend the "All in One SEO Pack" if that's what platform you're on. Sorry for misunderstanding your last post

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #100
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Someone mentioned a separate thread for exchanging links, and that would be fine.

Remember, though, we want everybody's site to look unique.

When you make links to other sites (or ask for a link from other sites) try to use some "rich text." Instead of just listing the url, use something descriptive. Here's an example:

http://www.johnbridge.com/forum

Instead of that do this:

John Bridge Tile Advice Forums

For those of you who are editing in html (source code) it would look like this:

<a href="http://www.johnbridge.com/forum/" target="_new">John Bridge Tile Advice Forums</a>

WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editing programs, including Word Press, all have easy methods of forming hyperlinks. Basically, you type in the text, highlight it and assign the url to it -- very much in the way you can do it here on the forums using our vB code.

Any more questions on metatags?
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #101
irish tileguy in michigan
Tile Contractor -- S.E. Michigan

John, curious, can u check my site.

Laticrete Hydroban & Schluter Kerdi shower installs
Custom installation of Tile and stone
irish tileguy in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #102
Executive Flooring

Well I dont have time to really do anything tonight or the next few days but I figured I would stop in and check on this thread.

John I will definitely take your advice and change things. Do you think I should also change MA to Massachusetts in the url such as this: http://www.executive-flooring.com/MA...allations.html

Isaac, I searched a couple different phrases and you came up in the 1-3 range. Thats pretty good if you ask me.

Daniel, as for the Google sitemap, Ive had a webmaster account for a while but never really did anything with it because I didnt know what to do. It seems you just add the url's of all of your pages. Is this correct? Looks like you can do a lot more with it also but thats probably getting to far ahead. Im in favor of the state by state contractors listing in exchange for a reciprocal link.

As far as linking, I am definitely open to sharing links if others are interested.

Maybe by the time this thread runs dry we can all quit flooring and be web designers
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #103
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Thanks for checking guys.

One thing I have found, as tile setters we sometimes approach our website content from our viewpoint instead of from our potential customers.

It is great if we are at the top of the google search results but we have to make people that visit our site actually want to call or email us.

I have gotten a decent amount of work from my site, but my goal to improve conversion.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #104
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi Steve,

In the topmost area of your front page you have Maloney Tile and Marble, Inc. listed four times, once in the heading, twice in the first paragraph and once in the second paragraph. I would cut that down to two times. Do away with the heading and list it once in the first and once in the second paragraphs.

Get some more rich keywords into the first and second paragraphs. Take some from your bulleted list below -- maybe do away with the bullets altogether. Metatags are one thing, but front page content is also extremely important, especially at the top of the page. That's what most people and all robots see.

The metatags -- title and description -- look really good.
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #105
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I guess you have all figured out why I am so passionate about business web sites.

What's on the front of each page (not just the home page) is important to people and to robots. You can have some purely informational pages that don't contain a huge number of key words and phrases, but all pages must contain some. And remember (I know I'm repeating this), People and robots read from the top down, so robots place more value on text near the top of the page.

Place new article pages on your site as frequently as you can. New content is eagerly gobbled up by robots, and people like to see new things, too.

And what Isaac said prompts me to say that yes, the web site is primarily for your customers, prospective customers and other interested people. If you keep that constantly in your mind when editing the site, you'll do fine. Just don't forget to set our milk and cookies for the bots.

Here's another JB.com page (I know, I know) that I think is informational and that contains a number of keywords (pertinent to the nature of the article) in the first paragraph and in the heading. See how many times tile has been mentioned, but each time it's a different type. The text doesn't sound contrived.

http://www.johnbridge.com/articles/t...rcelain-tiles/

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase