Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Dsimms

Shower pan mud

I used Mapei’s 4 to 1 mud bed mix to pour my preslope for my shower pan. I’ve never built a shower pan before. The pan had tar paper under it along with metal lathe.

When I mixed the mud and installed it it all went well. It’s sloped properly and I was pleased with how it was turning out.. I used a trowel to finish everything off smoothly.

I used a trowel that was square on the edges. Occasionally when I was smoothing everything off I would get off and dig the edge of the trowel into the bed and would have to start again with smoothing it out. As I did water began to rise to the top of the bed and the mix got really wet looking. I used the maximum that Mapei recommends of 4qts to the 55 lb. mix when mixing it. The mix would clump into a ball like it was supposed to but would leave my hand wet.

Once the pan dried there were areas that were really hard and areas that were sandy looking. The sandy areas were the parts that the water rose to the top in. If you took your hand and wiped the top you could rub it off, creating more sand. I vaccumed the top and removed the excess sand. There was only a few spots that actually had some divets in it.

I called Mapei and asked them if they thought the bed would still be good. They said the bed is always going to be somewhat sandy when you wipe it because it’s a dry pack. They said the strength of it comes in its compression strength. I let it sit for over a week and never saw any changes in the bed. It was strong to walk on. I went ahead and installed the pan liner and packed the final bed.

After doing so and mixing the mud with about only 3 qts the mix was so much nicer to work with and I fell very confident in the pack and the strength of how it all turned out.

My concern now is that now that I see how well the final bed did, will the pre slope maintain its integrity and not cause any problems? Could the preslope move or shift under the pan liner or dissolve and crumble? Is any of that possible.

Thanks for your input in advance. If I can figure out how to attach photos of it I will.

Last edited by Dsimms; 12-03-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Dsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Dsimms

Here are the photos
Attached Images

Last edited by Dsimms; 12-03-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fix the photos
Dsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Dsimms

Also, I’ve got Hardie boards for the sides. That’s why I didn’t embed them in the final bed.
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, David.

The pre-slope need only be sufficiently strong and properly sloped to support the liner and provide proper drainage. Can't make much of an evaluation based upon your photos, but if it's solid and sloped a minimum of 1/4" per horizontal foot to the furthest corner, it should be OK.

The final mud be is more critical and needs to be of the right consistency to allow water to pass through it readily. If you have that, and if you have the same minimum slope, you should be OK.

If you plan to use that roofing felt as your water containment system. you need to re-do it such that it laps down over the pan liner by at least a few inches.

And I'd much prefer to see your waterproofing and CBU extend at least a couple inches beyond the shower curb. May not be too much of a problem as it is if you plan a well sealed glass enclosure of some kind in that opening, but even then it's good to have protection a little beyond the planned wet area.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

Wouldn't worry a bit about the preslope, glad you pulled the felt so when you reattach it you can overlap the liner a bit.
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

And.... I thought I was the first to post on this
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
buttjoint1

Shluter, durock, wedi etc make preslope pans and water proof foam wall boards that are the cats pajamas... Esp when walking material up stairs.

Last edited by buttjoint1; 12-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.
buttjoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Not really pertinent to the type of shower the OP is building here, Vic.

Unread 12-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Kind of hard to tell for sure, but how high is the liner above the top of the curb? Looks a little low to me.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Looks to me like the liner is at least as high as the dam corner, Jim, and the only nail appears right at the top of the dam corner. I'd think it should be OK.

Unread 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #11
Dsimms

Thanks for the replies. The sides we’re 6 inches tall when I installed the pan liner. Yeah, I realized later the felt should have overlapped the liner and decided I should run it the full length from top to bottom.

As far as where the Sheetrock and backer board are, I was going to tape and mortar the transition, then tile over on the the sheet rock a tile or two.

Any suggestions on that? If I were to cut the Sheetrock out some more would I then need to put liner on that part and a dam in the corner of the curb on the front?

Thanks.
Unread 12-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
Dsimms

Also I am going to waterproof membrane everything once it’s all done. While I have you all. The plaster guard on my shower valve. Does that stay on or does it come off, and at what point? It’s square shaped and im wondering if I need to cut out its shape in the backer board or just a circle for the valve.

Thanks.
Unread 12-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Normally you would cut the Hardiboard to fit the plaster guard but it's a good idea to get the trim out and check.

If you still have the felt paper up, I would leave the membrane off the face of the Hardi. No need to have two barriers.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
Dsimms

Are there any books that you all could recommend with instructions and examples?

Thanks
Unread 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
Dsimms

I’m ready to make my shower curb but I’m not sure what to pour it out of. Some things I’ve read say mortar and something say bed mud. The shower pan is already poured. Yawls advice would be great thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase