Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
wwhitney

If you're going to have an AAV in a ventilated accessible wall box, then you don't actually need to do any wet venting. You can plumb the DWV like this:

For the toilet, the drain goes straight down. First fitting below the floor is a sanitary tee with a 2" branch line for the toilet vent. This 2" vent line runs horizontally to under the wall with the AAV and turns up into the wall with a long turn 90.

Below this sanitary tee for the toilet vent will be one or two other sanitary tees to bring in the shower and lavatory drains. [Those drains could come in separately at different elevations, or they could combine using a wye to come into a single sanitary tee.] Below the sanitary tees you should install a test tee with threaded plug as a cleanout.

For the lavatory, the usual p-trap to sanitary tee in the wall, the drain line goes down to a long-turn 90 to go horizontal under the floor to hit the toilet drain. The vent line rises in the wall.

For the shower, the usual p-trap under the floor. Then you take off the shower vent with a wye that is rolled up 45 degrees from horizontal. Then you use a combination of small bends (no 90s) to turn that vent horizontal and pointed towards the wall with the AAV. The vent line runs to that wall and turns up with a long turn 90.

Finally in the wall with the AAV, the three vents combine at a height at least six inches above the lavatory rim. One they are combined, they can rise to hit the AAV.

Note that all the vent lines plumbed under the floor need to pitch 1/4" per foot back towards the drain, and all the vent fittings under the floor should be drainage pattern fittings. Basically if you plugged the lavatory, toilet, and shower connections, then plugged the 3" drain at the test tee and filled all the DWV with water up to just below the AAV, releasing the plug should let all the water drain out of the vent lines just like they were drains.

Your plumbing inspection may require you to fill the new DWV with water in exactly that way to demonstrate there are no leaks.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I've found that MOST inspectors understand the compromises in renovation work and will allow for an AAV if it's necessary, as it appears to be in your situation. Contact them ahead of time and run it by them.
Unread 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
Flyingscot

Wayne, I think I love you! That is what I'm looking for! I can't get a reputable plumber to even talk to me because my job "isn't worth their time". I can glue pipe together as well as anyone (and have) but I'm smart enough to know that it's more than glue and PVC. There's physics involved and when the physics are ignored badness ensues.

That's the 'crap" emoji BTW...get it?
Unread 08-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
Flyingscot

Just an update. I passed my rough plumbing inspection on the first try! The inspector was awesome! He totally got that it was an old house and was flexible with some of the decisions we made.

Also passed my rough electric, framing, HVAC and insulation even with the drilled out joist. Sheetrock and Kerdiboard goes up this weekend and then tiling begins in earnest so I’m pretty sure I’ll be needing your help.

Thanks for all the expertise!
Unread 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That's great news, Lynne.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase