Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Kevin M

Porcelain tiles with a "sheen"

Hello everyone,

We recently put down a porcelain tile floor (Rialto beige series from Lowe's). After grouting it and removing the excess and the haze, the tiles now have a "sheen" to them around the grout lines. The middle of the tiles do not, they are the original matte finish.

We have tried mixing vinegar and water and getting a haze remover with no luck. We are really worried we will not be able to remove it and the job won't look as good as it could. Any help is appreciated. It's been about a week and a half, hoping it's not too late to get this stuff up.

Thanks.
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

well the Rialto is a good porcelain tile and I doubt you cant stain it.
what type of grout did you use and what type of water do you have at your home ?
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

If it wasn't sealer the only thing i can think of is maybe it's moistureand will dissipate in awhile.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Kevin M

Grout was the premixed stuff from Home Depot, the color is "Haystack". (I'd put a link, but the forum won't allow me - the SKU at HD is #785173 (different color).)

As far as the water goes, we live in St. Louis, I hear it is somewhat "hard". We used tap water with no filtration.

I used straight vinegar again last night with a scraper and then the haze remover again with no change. When I look at it closely, it looks like there are streaks or swirls. Does that mean anything?

@Dave - we didn't seal it, although the grout says it is stain resistant.
Unread 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
SyTile

In the premixed grouts, another cleaning is commonly required after completion. In looking at the data sheet for the product you're using, http://www.jamoinc.com/documents/ds_...x-grout-ds.pdf, it is recommended to use TileLab Grout & Tile Cleaner to remove the excess haze. I would use a white scrub pad to assist in removing the haze left around the edges.
Unread 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Kevin M

Success! I bought some scrubbing pads today and the sheen/haze is coming off with straight vinegar that sits for 1-2 minutes. It's going to take some work, but it looks like our tile job won't be ruined after all. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase