Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Pinkbamboo

Need Recommendation - Epoxy Grout

I do mosaic work using glass and glass tile. I have a few concerns and epoxy grout seems to be the answer but need a grout recommendation related to the issues I am dealing with.

- Staining. I use a lot of white, grout needs to be as impervious to staining as possible
- Small jobs. I have used Profusion and typically use about a 5th of the bucket. I need a grout that I can mix in small batches or comes premixed and has a good shelf life. I have since read that Profusion is not a "true" epoxy and am now concerned about it being truly stain proof.
- UV discoloration. Do all epoxy grouts discolor over time from sunlight coming through a skylight or window?
- Texture. Prefer smooth texture in between sanded and non-sanded. Profusion's white was great, charcoal VERY grainy.

- Do spills on all epoxy grouts have to be immediately cleaned up or the grout will stain? If stained will bleach remove the stain?

A lot of questions! Much appreciate any advise or information given!!
Unread 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Christine.

Are you sure the product you're using is "Profusion"? I'm not familiar with that.

Could it be, instead, Fusion Pro from Custom Building Products?

There are many epoxy grouts on the market and all work per manufacturer's instructions. Laticrete's Spectralock seems to be a favorite among our members.

Some glass tile manufacturers do not recommend the use of epoxy grout with their products.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
zeaflal

See these 2 posts about white SpectraLock: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=104335 and http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=40353.

The other observation about SpectraLock is that you should aim for perfection on the first wash. Its not going to happen, but is is possible on the second. You may still need a third partial wash - I was usually able to avoid it. Gently sliding a dry hand across dry tile is a good way to find grout residue that you cannot see.
Unread 05-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Kman

I think for your application, Fusion Pro is going to be your best bet. One of the problems with many epoxy grouts is that they have an "all or none" product, meaning you have to mix an entire unit at one time. If you're doing 200 s.f., that's okay, but when you're just doing a small bathroom floor, it's not okay due to all that's wasted.

Next to Fusion Pro, I think Spectralock would be my next choice for what you're doing. I think the units are nine lbs., so you wouldn't have much waste. It's a little pricey, but good stuff.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
zeaflal

SpectraLock is also available in mini-units (2 1/4 pounds of part C). Parts A and B are also available in mini-unit case lots; more expensive than full units but less than buying minis individually. You can also use a quality scale to proportion full units into smaller batches. You can save a little money, but I think the extra effort and the risk of making a mistake make that a bad choice.
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Fusion Pro is "Da Bomb."

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see the cost of hiring a amateur.
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
jim_c
doitmyselfer

smaller batches

FWIW, I used Mapei Kerapoxy grout on my one and only epoxy grout project and it worked extremely well. The results are beautiful (if I do say so myself, lol). The one gallon size was about $100. I was able to make up several small batches, it was easy to do and they all worked well. I simply used a digital kitchen scale to measure component amounts in grams. The Mapei system has only two components in a 9:1 ratio.
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbamboo
How did the test of Pro Fusion white work? I need to find a white grout as stain resistant as possible that I can use for small jobs, resealable bucket. Thanks for any advice/feedback you can give! Christine

I really like Fusion. Its the only grout we use. The white is the whitest I can find. Works very well with glass tiles. Haven't scratched one yet.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

We're mixing apples and oranges here. The ready to use grouts (no mixing) aren't epoxies. However, they can be an excellent choice for glass mosaics. True epoxy grouts like the Kerapoxy mentioned by Jim offer the most 'bombproof' combination of stain resistance and and cleanability but can be a bit trickier to use and can't be re-used once mixed.

If you're considering a ready to use grout, this would be my recommendation:

http://www.mapei.com/public/COM/prod...r_CQ_EN_lr.pdf

If you're considering an epoxy, this one is a good choice:

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...y_CQ_EN_lr.pdf

If you have a question about UV resistance, I encourage you to call our product support line below.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273

Last edited by MAPEI - Technical Service; 05-15-2014 at 11:34 AM.
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Thanks for the clarification Dan.

I met the fine folks at the Mapei booth at coverings. Kyle Muphy, I believe, Told me they would send 2 units of the newFlexcolor out in white and grey. I am eager to see how he perform next to the fusion.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase