Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
tp13dan13

Red face CBU to Drywall Transition & Squareness

Hello All,

I have just installed the CBU (hardibacker) in my shower/bath. I furred out the studs beforehand so the CBU will overlap the tub tiling flange (I plan on using Redgard, hence the overlap). I noticed there are still some area in which the CBU is not completely square, especially where the CBU meets existing drywall in which the drywall comes out from about 1/8" more than the CBU (I am using 1/2 thick CBU).

Questions:

1. What is the best way to fix this transition?

2. How perfectly square does the CBU need to be in order to tile properly? If I move my level around on the CBU I can see some variation throughout the shower but nothing too dramatic...is this normal or should I make sure the CBU is perfectly square around the tub?

3. (unrelated to this post title but still the same project)...I will be using 8x12 tiles and planned on staggering rows. I purchased bullnose for the edges but am wondering how you would use bullnose if every other row is staggered a half tile from the one above and below it. If this doesn't make sense I can draw a picture to describe it. Would you end up with a half tile that transitions into a small bullnose piece? Thought that may look wierd..

I appreciate the help!

Tom
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Tom,

1- If this is outside the wet area, tape and float like drywall. If inside the wet area, tape and float with thinset

2- How much out are we talking? with that sized tiles slight humps will not matter as you can use a slightly larger trowel

3- check out the subway tiling tutorial and look at the pictures for inspiration and ideas. Then do what Mrs Tom wants.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase