Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Jay_NY

Leaking shower in condo building

Hi - I’m posting this on behalf of my in-laws. They own a condo and today there was major water intrusion into their neighbor’s downstairs unit as well as the common hallway.

The building management says it’s coming from my in-law’s shower. The building maintenance person recommended caulking where the tile meets the tub, will charge $150 to do it.

Here are pictures

They bought the condo 3 years ago and it was already renovated. I don’t have any info on the construction methods of the shower or tile.

Do you guys think just digging out the old grout/caulk at the base and recaulking it is the correct fix?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 07-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jay, is this a shower stall or a tub surround that has a shower head? It's hard to tell by your pictures.

It's possible that will fix the problem but there's no way to know without more information. Has anyone checked the plumbing to see if it might be leaking?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #3
Jay_NY

Hey Davy - yea it’s hard to tell in those pics. It’s a tub with shower head

I was told that when the shower runs with nobody in it there is no leakage. Once water is sprayed on the wall the leakage starts, and it is a significant amount.

Unread 07-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Does the tub move when someone stands in it? If so, it sounds like it may not have been installed properly.

Ideally, a tub will have a tiling flange that, even when the caulk is not intact, shouldn't leak unless the tub is not properly leveled.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #5
Jay_NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
Does the tub move when someone stands in it? If so, it sounds like it may not have been installed properly.

Ideally, a tub will have a tiling flange that, even when the caulk is not intact, shouldn't leak unless the tub is not properly leveled.

I will find that out.

Do you guys think we need to get a tile pro out there to do some demo work, or should we give the caulk a shot first?

Unread 07-26-2022, 12:17 AM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Getting to the heart of the matter would involve significant dollars as the tile, the substrate, and the waterproofing would need to be replaced. Then the glass re-installed. In some cases, the glass may not fit with the tile replacement.

At this point, I’d probably give the caulking a go. It’s a band-aid fix, so realize you need to keep on top of maintaining the caulk more diligently than if the waterproofing underneath (the tile) was proper.

If I were to re-caulk that, I’d spend a significant amount of time removing 100% of the old stuff. And I’d only use 100% silicone (no latex or “siliconized latex” in any case) using careful techniques to insure a longer lasting job. I wouldn’t dream of using my finger to smooth out the caulk in any scenario because it produces a fine feather edge that is prone to peeling.

While I’d likely try to help a customer out in a crumby situation like this and not charge much….I wouldn’t expect a very high-quality caulk job for only $150.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2022, 06:26 AM   #7
Jay_NY

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

Unread 07-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Jay, in your first post, second photo; is that a piece of caulk laying there or is it grout? And the crack in the corner - were the inside corners caulked or grouted?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #9
Jay_NY

I haven’t gotten to inspect in person yet, but It looks to me like grout, I’m guessing you think the same.

That should be caulk, maybe with a backer rod behind it, correct?

My brother in law lives nearby and will be there to ensure all that old grout gets cleaned out, hopefully he’s able to ensure that the caulking is done correctly.

Unread 07-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I was thinking the same as Jim, I've seen tubs that didn't have a tile flange and if water works it's way under the caulk/grout, it will leak.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2022, 10:44 AM   #11
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

These are the specs for the Kohler Archer tub that they have.

I thought it had a weep channel but apparently, it doesn't.

You might also pull the overflow cover off and check that seal. Sometimes, getting the seals to sit correctly on those bathtubs can be tough.

For troubleshooting, try using water from a different source like a bucket. If it leaks then you know it's not the water supply lines for that shower.
Unread 07-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #12
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Have you checked the obvious stuff like leaks around tub drain or lines? Seems much more likely for “major water intrusion”.

Does it when tub is full of water?
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase