Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-12-2022, 10:35 PM   #16
mjl975

Yep, that's basically the same as my drain, except I'm almost positive that those bosses are supposed to go through the cutout and below the surface of the subfloor. At least with the Oatey branded drain I'm using that's true, so I followed their instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpE1A6ogUNI
Unread 08-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #17
mjl975

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll be sure to go 1-1/2" on the final bed when I re-do it. And pay closer attention to my dam corners. Got a new roll of liner today, new corners, more mortar, and some liquid nails, so I should be good to go for this weekend! I'll share the results when it's done. Thanks again, I really appreciate the time all of you have taken.
Unread 08-13-2022, 05:49 AM   #18
Just In Tile LLC

CX when I said bonding I meant the liner to other surfaces, not the actual liner to itself or the boots for the corners which then you would use the liner glue. I end up using the X15 for my corners as well to get a really snug and minimal corner. There's no cuts there but I use the liner glue to hold the fold super tight.

Exactly Davy thanks!
Unread 08-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #19
Just In Tile LLC

Couple tips Marc for your next go around, if you screw in your bolts halfway for the top flange BEFORE you lay in the liner you can then cut around them easier after the liner is installed.

I'm not sure if you siliconed on the bottom flange underneath the liner but you'll want to do that this time. I do it after the liner is in ( see attached pic) but you can run the bead before you lay the liner in.

As I mentioned above, a little swipe of liner glue (X15) not liquid nails where the folds are does wonders for keeping them nice and tight. You'll really appreciate a tight corner once the board goes on. When I'm doing one on slab I use bricks for my dam so that liquid nails allows me to keep the liner tight there without any fasteners. You'll also appreciate the liner tight on the dam when the board goes up and during the mudding there.
Attached Images

Unread 08-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #20
Just In Tile LLC

That video gave away all the tricks! Nice!....I have never seen anyone separately liner the dam that was weird no thanks.

The preslope without roofing paper or plastic... no thanks.

Guess I've never watched the official video but WOW Surprised that's the official way...
Unread 08-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've never seen such instructions for the curb, either, Justin. Guess it's a way to "fasten" the liner to the curb area, but I've never though anything necessary other than the metal lath folded over the curb for the necessary mortar. Different strokes, I suppose.

Fastening the drain flange directly to the subfloor I'll hafta disagree with, though. They indicate you must make a pre-slope, but give no clue what material might work well with their drain installation method.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2022, 07:30 AM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Justin said. Why cut a separate piece for the curb when you don't have to.

I had a plumber tell me the other day that he uses the X-15 glue between the drain and liner instead of silicone. I had a scrap piece of liner and old drain so I tried it. It stuck very well but I still like making a gasket ring with silicone better.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #23
mjl975

Justin, do you have any closeups of your dam corners? That would be really helpful.

I do use silicone under the liner at the drain.

Good tip on using X15 to keep the folds tight! I'll do that.

What do you think about using carpet adhesive to glue the liner to the pre-slope and curb? I used Liquid Nails last time but it seems like carpet adhesive out of the bucket would be easier to lay down and spread more consistently.
Unread 08-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #24
Just In Tile LLC

I don't have a close up shot Marc, as far as using the carpet glue I'm not sure. On their website they list these approved adhesives.

What adhesives are approved for use with the PVC and CPE liners?

Oatey has approved the three following Liquid Nails products for this application. LN - 609 / Panel & Foam Adhesive LN - 715 / Tub Surround & Shower Adhesive LN – 915 / Tub Surround & Shower Wall Adhesive

I remember that list being at least twice that and it wasn't just liquid nails brands...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase