Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
AlpineVT

foam in slab

Name:  Foam in slab.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  75.2 KB

Hello, Curious if anyone else has dealt with this scenario?
It's an entry 250 sq radiant in slab that has a foam boarder along exterior edge that will need to be covered. Am thinking to level foam, crack isolate with fabric, then cover with ditra. This floor also has to level out to 3/4" wood floor..
Thanks Hank in VT
Unread 08-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Hank.

There's a place in your User Profile for that geographic location so it will appear in each post.

Not sure what I'm seeing in your photo. Is the black material the foam of which you speak?

What's under the foam?

Is the concrete we see under the door in plane with the concrete field?

Not at all sure why you'd want to put Ditra on top of a crack isolation membrane. What's the thinking there?

You understand that whatever you do to fill that void, you'll need to honor the joint between that and the concrete slab up through the tile installation, right?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
AlpineVT

Thanks it's been a wile!

Yes the black material is "the foam" and concrete is in plane. The foam is a thermal break that is as deep as the footing at least 4'. (Was told it's part of the weatherization code)

I am aware of keeping a movement joint through planes but in this case they do not want to see one. Intending to land a grout joint on it so it can be color matched caulked or just repair grout in time.

I have had extremely successful results in the past using this method to cure cracks. Seems to "catch" the crack in the 1st layer of crack suppression and not carry on under the uncoupling. Or else I've just gotten lucky! Tried it 1st on a repair that I didn't set the original tile, been doing fine 10yrs+

Curious to see if anyone else has had to deal with this.
Unread 08-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
(Was told it's part of the weatherization code)
Again, a reason why it's important to have a geographic location in your User Profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
...but in this case they do not want to see one. Intending to land a grout joint on it so it can be color matched caulked...
They never want to see one, Hank! Your intent is exactly what I meant by honoring the joint, but a grout joint width may or may not be sufficient. And you really want a flexible sealant in that joint, rather than just caulk.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 08-02-2022 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add Comment
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The foam would not be the greatest support for tile along that edge!

How dense is it? It might work, but I'd be worried about support for the tile there.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #6
AlpineVT

foam in slab

I'm in Vermont. We go from -20F winter to 90F summers.. I am worried about support as well, that's why I've come to this great site that has seen a lot of scenario's. The foam is ridged, feels about same or stiffer density as the Wedi foam core. The doors are set back from the wall and do not have a threshold to cover this small indent that exposes the insulation...and they (architect & owner) do not want thresholds but for a clean run to the doors. Might do a little digging and pour a fortified mud bed. Then crack suppression-fabric with hydro-ban, then strata-mat. Grout line on crack zone

Last edited by AlpineVT; 08-03-2022 at 06:17 AM.
AlpineVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
AlpineVT

Heard back from Latacrete Help desk's This was the response....
"I agree with your thoughts on mitigating the thermal break area by cutting back the foam, skim with thinset like 254 Platinum. Let this set up. Treat with Hydroban and fabric is optional (but a good insurance policy) and finally cover with Strata mat, tile, grout. Sounds like a good plan."
Works for me but am still curious if I'm the only one seeing this...
Unread 08-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As people become more and more interested in energy efficiency and codes change, I think you'll see more effort to provide thermal breaks for building methods.

I just got a notice from my electricity supplier...prices going up over 30% starting next month. Energy efficiency has always been a viable goal, but as it becomes more expensive, and the reality of warming, it becomes more important.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #9
CaliGrown

Hank,
I don’t see any issues with your proposed plan. Especially with Laticrete’s sign-off, I’d go that route and not think twice of it. They can send over a spec sheet highlighting their intended method, should you need documentation resources.
A mud bed is always another route that can be applied in almost every case, should depth/build-out not be a prohibitive factor. Keep on trucking!!
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase