Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

At least your plank floor is perpendicular to the joists! Many are installed at a 45-degree angle, making their span longer. Make sure all of the planks are well fastened to the joists and use construction screws if needed. They went on long before construction adhesive was generally considered best practice, and adhesive probably isn't suitable for dimensional lumber, either.

The reason for the plywood is stability - it expands and contracts much less than dimensional lumber. The reason for something like Ditra or a cbu is to help isolate the cement/ceramic materials from the wood beneath.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #17
K3093

I was just pointing out what you have been explaining to me about vertical rise in the joists to my wife, in the basement. While she was on the step ladder and I was looking over her shoulder, I noticed joist bracing I didn’t think to mention before. I know it’s not a situation of “Oh, you have those? You’re golden.”, but I thought I would point them out. They occur full width across all the 14’ spans on each side of the center beam. They are right at 7’ away from the beam. They will help reduce the sagging to a degree shouldn’t they?

My wife is right on the edge of saying just to repaint the floor, but I’m trying to give her what she’d like for once, instead of what she needs. I’m weighing all the consequences, so I appreciate your time and help here.

I found an article about engineered wooden I beams, that says that they can be found to fail in as little as 2.5 minutes, where the sawn joists tolerated enough impingement to still carry out all the stages of fire attack and rescue to completion. If you’re interested:
https://www.firehouse.com/safety-hea...-wooden-ibeams

I enjoy very much learning from subject matter experts in most any field. I might not find an immediate application of the knowledge, but I’m always surprised how often a little trivial knowledge comes in handy.
Attached Images

Unread 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #18
K3093

Thanks for the explanation Jim. I’ve never understood the reasoning behind the 45 degree installation of subfloor in some homes around here and perpendicular in others in the same neighborhood. Different schools of thought back in the day I guess?
Unread 07-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
They will help reduce the sagging to a degree shouldn’t they?
Cross-bracing, or bridging serve to keep the joist in the vertical position under load, where otherwise they might tend to twist, thereby loosing some of their initial properties. Their presence does not change or increase the design deflection or strength of the joist system, they simply help the system maintain that design deflection under load. On a 14-foot unsupported span I'd always have one row of such bracing near the center.

And of note, the use of cross-bracing such as you have is more effective than the solid blocking you sometimes see.

As for the orientation of the board subflooring, the installation on a 45 degree angle was for purpose of horizontal bracing back in the day. A bit less necessary with the wide boards you have, but with 1x6 boards or narrower, it made a good bit of difference. Rigidity of the subflooring between joists was not as much of an issue.

Interesting article. Most of the houses I've ever built started on a concrete slab-on-grade foundation and had only one story. We like our firemen and want to keep them safe.

And in my area, we're dealing almost exclusively with volunteer fire departments and ain't no way you'll see the NFPA recommended 17 fire fighters respond to a house fire. My hat's off to you all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #20
K3093

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t think it would count much, but thought I would mention it.

A basement is a nice thing to have. Access to the plumbing and electrical as well as being a cooler place to be on a hot day is welcome.

My hat’s off to you as well. Somebody needs to keep us in houses and spread their wisdom as well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase