Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
danielsportraits

Shower drain to 3” cast iron pipe

I’m installing a walk-in shower in my basement. Is there any way (product or mechanism) to connect a shower drain to this cast iron pipe (3” opening) without having to chip out the concrete? Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Unread 07-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

First off, make sure that there is a trap there, and look for a vent line. Are you sure it's an actual drain to the sewer and not just a line to a drywell, or some other piping designed to handle ground water?

Is the pipe a hub, or are the sides straight down?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
danielsportraits

Hello, and thanks! Yes, there is a trap and it’s also vented. There was an old fiberglass shower unit there when we bought the house.
Unread 07-14-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
danielsportraits

...and it’s straight down.
Unread 07-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

You don't indicate what kind of drain you intend to use, nor the type of shower receptor you intend to build, but if you'll do a sheet-type direct bonded waterproofing membrane receptor, and if that pipe is in fact 3-inch ID, there are a couple bonding flange drains out there that provide and adapter to fit inside a 3-inch pipe. They're plastic, either PVC or ABS and made, of course, to be glued in, but I'm sure I could make a suitable connection there. Suitable meaning I'd be happy with it. You'd need to run it by your code compliance people to determine whether they'd buy it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

All of the approved connection methods I'm familiar with would require more access. A connector like this could work https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...tock-couplings

Shower drains are available in 3" sizes so you could use a short piece of PVC or ABS as a riser, but that would raise the shower pan a bit unless you cut it off some. A plumber may have some other ideas.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
danielsportraits

Thank you all for your time and feedback. I will try to update when I get going. Thanks Again!
D
Unread 07-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #8
danielsportraits

Redo?

I put in this mortar bed (my first)...
I got the slope right, and most of it is nice and solid, BUT...
There are a couple spots where some is sloughing off (see photo).
Does this require a redo?
Thank you in advance for any help and advice!
DDName:  D706C4EA-3559-4DE0-8AC6-075164AF3A1A.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  EB30F61F-72E6-47A4-A50C-46BAB6B044D6.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  57.3 KB
Unread 07-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dan, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

How did you end up connecting your drain?

You made a similar sloped mortar bed before you installed that waterproof liner?

I can't tell by your photos how much of a problem you might have. If a lot of the mortar will come up with a shop vacuum, you might wanna remove it, call it practice, and do another. If it's just a few small spots and if you can smooth it with a rub-brick or similar, you might be OK.

What mix did you use for the top mortar bed? Did you pack it well before you carved it to its final shape?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase