Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
eagle

Schluter shower tray installation

I'm getting ready to order my kerdi shower kit for a 30" x 60" shower kit. I checked my subfloor and found that it is not perfectly level. On the 60" length it differs 1/8" from side to side and on the 30" length is differs 1/16" from side to side. Will that be OK for a shower tray or do I need to make adjustments?

I have planned on covering the subfloor with 1/4" hardi backer as well as the rest of the bathroom floor which will also be tiled. Do I use kerdi on the floor as well?

Thanks for a great forum!
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Kman

I think that floor is withing tolerance for the shower tray. You'll be using a 1/4x3/8 trowel with thinset to bond the tray to the floor. While Schluter recommends unmodified thinset, I would personally use modified. At any rate, the thinset should take care of any out-of-level parts.

If you want to be absolutely safe, flat-trowel thinset in the lower parts to get it perfectly level. Let it dry overnight, then install the tray. Use a good level to get the tray set right.

Don't use Kerdi on the bathroom floor. That's what Ditra is for. However, you can bring the Kerdi over the curb and onto the Ditra a couple or three inches to keep water from penetrating the seams and into the subfloor. You will want to get the subfloor flat for Ditra.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What Kevin said plus;

Its within tolerance for floor drainage, and if you are using a 6" tall or larger tile where the gradation will not show on the walls. If you are using smaller tiles, then correct the slope in the floor before putting down the foam base.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

What Kevin said, and what Paul repeated.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
eagle

non modified thinset v modified?

Where can I find info on when to use what in regards to non-modified thinset and modified thinset? I have access to Lowes and Home Depot in my area, what brands do you recommend for a shower tile project with Kerdi shower kit and Ditra. I plan on using ceramic tile. Thanks!
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi eagle,

Please keep all your questions for your project on a single thread, it helps folks with seeing what you are doing and what has been asked and answered already.

To install Kerdi you use an unmodified thinset to install Kerdi and set the tile. Mapei Kerabond from Lowes or Laticrete Megabond from Lowes are good choices. Home Depot may have Custom Building Product's Uncoupling mortar which would be good. In a pinch, but does not meet Schluter's guidelines, would be Versabond from Home Depot.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
eagle

corner seat?

I'm putting a corner seat in my shower built according to the "kerdi shower book" out of 2x4 and am wondering wether to lay the Schluter shower tray down before or after installing the seat? Thanks!
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
Look into the BetterBench it's a much cleaner way to install a seat.
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
eagle

Smile tray and kerdi done!

I'm done with the tray and kerdi installation and was wondering if I should do a leak test? If so, how long does the whole thing have to dry before the test and what is the best way to do this?

thanks!
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Eagle, you should get yourownself familiar with the Schluter Kerdi Installation Handbook available online.

Minimum waiting time to flood test is 24 hours.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
eagle

Question Hhmmm.....

I have the Kerdi handbook, great read and help! Thanks.

One thing has me a bit concerned though. I seem to have not put enough thinset in the "step" of the shower tray. I still have a bit of a "step" in there after the Kerdi was installed, I guess I didn't screed it correct. The connection between kerdi and the drain body feels solid but I can see how the little dip could cause problems when the tiles are going in. Should I worry about this? Will it affect the integrity of the drain area, strength and waterproof wise?

I guess I could just screed it again with thinset and let it dry before the tiles go in. Another thing I thought about is cutting a circle of kerdi the size of the step and put it down with thinset over the first layer of kerdi and let that dry before tiling.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
bbcamp

Don't do anything until you get ready to set the drain's upper works. It's all set in thinset, so the problem may go away.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
eagle

OK, but doesn't the 'upper works' go in after the tile is set?

Did any of the suggestions I mention make sense to do?
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
bbcamp

They go in at the same time. A great feature of the Kerdi drain is the lateral adjustment that allows you to align the strainer with the tile. You also get vertical adjustment, too.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
eagle

Cool

Any concrete suggestions of what to do with the 'step' in the shower tray before I start tiling? I'm not an experienced tiler and don't want any surprises when I'm in the midst of tiling. Bob, I don't like the sound of your earlier post, 'the problem may go away', I want to be sure I have done everything right before the tiles go in...

My earlier questions;

Will it affect the integrity of the drain area, strength and waterproof wise?

I guess I could just screed it again with thinset and let it dry before the tiles go in. Another thing I thought about is cutting a circle of kerdi the size of the step and put it down with thinset over the first layer of kerdi and let that dry before tiling.

Thanks,

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase